Gymnastics in the Attic

Without stopping, Sara walked the circuit from the dining room to the clock before the others had even made it to the stairs.

Tempted to turn the key, but knowing it would only cause grief, she waited until everyone had made it round before initiating the next game.

She wanted this done with even more so than when they had first arrived. It was getting to be a lot.

Instead of the familiar sound of a creaking door, the players were startled by a loud bang from round the corner on the upper landing. For a moment, no one moved, and Sara took the time to glance quickly at Jamie. She wasn't sure if understanding would have been more preferable, but she was certainly not happy with the look of surprise across his face.

From down near the bottom of the stairs, Jamie scuttled up and stretched his crooked neck to peer round the corner.

"It's okay," He croaked, "Or... well, it's not much worse than usual."

Whilst the others hesitated, Sara made her way to join Jamie round the corner. She could see what he meant.

Instead of an open door, there was a ladder leading up into the shadow reaches of an attic.

Jamie began to climb up, and Sara followed shortly behind. Ben was not far beyond, and Maggie, as to be expected, kept the rear.

It was not as dark as Sara feared. In fact, the room was quite well lit by a full moon that shone pale blue light through a large central window up high on the wall. Sara shuddered. It had not been a full moon when they had entered the manor.

The intricate woven frame of the window cast the shadow of a spider's web across the central floor, uninterrupted by anything but a thin layer of chalky dust.

The room was barren save for a singular silver key which sparkled in the moonlight.

"Sara, be careful," said Aunt Maggie

Sara's Muscles twitched as she took a step back. For God sakes she wasn't that close to the bloody key.

"Alright," She said," Then what's the plan?"

Aunt Maggie flinched at the question and had to adjust her posture a few times before answering.

"I Just think we should be..." She stumbled, "You know, careful. You know, all we can see is the key in the middle of the room. I mean, there's a cat in her somewhere, or I'm crazy."

"Do you want me to answer that?" Muttered Sara.

"Sara!" said Ben.

"Look, I'm not stupid," said Sara. "I know something's going to happen when we try and get the key. But something always happens. We Just got to, you know, do it."

"I understand, Sara," Said Aunt Maggie, "I just think..."

Sara picked up the key.

Silence snapped into the room so quickly that it left Sara's ears ringing. Her chest tightened, but she forced through some steady breaths. It was fine. Everything was fine.

Everything was not fine.

The silence was broken by a sudden rushing sound. Sara feared a return to the watery depths of the bathroom, but this might have actually been worse.

A tide of riving blackness rushed out from the shadows on the edge of the moonlight. As it threatened to wash over her, Sara realised that it was not a singular substance. No, it was an army. An army of countless tiny black spiders all skittering forward in grotesque unity.