23, First Snow

They watched the sunset in silence for a long while. But it soon began to grow chilly, and Fox didn't have enough clothing to combat the dropping temperature, so he moved to leave.

"One last question," Evander said, just as Fox moved to get up. Fox paused and looked at him. Evander's expression was curious, brows slightly furrowed and mouth set in a thoughtful line. "Why did you go out of your way to give me food on Halloween?"

"I don't mean to be disrespectful, but... it seemed sad. Your pack having fun while you patrolled alone. I thought it would make you happy if I gave you a bit of what everyone else was enjoying," Fox told him.

Evander's brows furrowed a little more. Fox couldn't tell if it was in disbelief or confusion. Maybe it was a mixture of both. Because why on earth would a lone wolf seek to please an Alpha, with no expectation of a reward?

"You're such a mystery," Evander murmured, seemingly to himself, even as he continued to stare at Fox.

"So are you," Fox countered. He held the Alpha's gaze for a moment, waiting. When it seemed like Evander wasn't going to ask anything else, Fox crept over to the edge of the roof and carefully climbed down the side of the house.

He made his way over to Ahren's house. He didn't see the Alpha outside, but he had no doubt that Ahren had kept an eye on things from inside. He tested the front door handle and found it unlocked.

Inside, he could smell dinner cooking. A fragrance of spaghetti met his nose, and his stomach growled to announce its hunger. Fox toed off his shoes and headed into the kitchen, where he found Ahren stirring a pot of tomato sauce.

"How'd it go? I imagine something good came of it if he didn't chase you back over here," Ahren inquired.

"It went fine. I understand him a little better, but he still confuses me. And I hope that maybe he understands me better, too," Fox replied. He took a seat at the dining table.

"Do you feel like he'll truly get off your back now?" Ahren asked. He strained the pasta in the kitchen sink. Fox pondered for a moment.

"I'm not sure," he said. "Maybe."

Ahren hummed and stirred the pasta and tomato sauce together. He divided it up into portions, dishing two servings out onto plates and storing the rest in containers for later meals. Ahren came over to the dining table and set a plate down in front of Fox.

Instead of taking his usual spot at the other end of the table, Ahren pulled out a chair next to Fox. Fox registered the amount of space between them, and then studied Ahren's face. He seemed unperturbed and calm as he dug into his food.

Fox ate his food without commenting on the new seating arrangement. Unlike when he ate with the loners, he wasn't nervous about eating close to Ahren.

After they finished dinner, Ahren spent some time in his office and offered Fox free range of his books. Fox picked out a book that sounded interesting and settled onto the living room couch to read. One of the few pastimes Fox ever allowed himself, if only to help keep his mind sharp.

When a few hours had passed, Fox's eyes began to feel dry in a way that signaled he needed to go to sleep soon. He bookmarked his spot and headed to bed. Fox brushed his teeth in the guest bathroom, and when he emerged, he could see Ahren prepping his bed for the night, his door open in another invitation. Fox waited, however, watching, until Ahren turned and noticed him standing out in the hall.

"Coming?" Ahren prompted with a gentle smile. Fox needed no more persuasion. It almost concerned him how easily he moved forward and joined Ahren in his room. Ahren pulled back the covers and settled into his spot.