24, Missing You

Nearly every day after the first snowfall, it snowed some more. The snow ranged from light flurries to near-blizzards, and Fox was tasked with shoveling snow every single day. Some days he had more work placed on top, and come dinnertime Fox would drag his exhausted body back to Ahren's house and collapse on the couch. He'd take a thorough nap and be gently woken by the Alpha when it was time to eat. And after dinner, they would share Ahren's bed and each other's warmth.

Near the end of the week, when it came time for a bonding party, Fox helped Ahren and his Betas set up for it. Fox had figured the colder weather would deter the pack from being outside for long periods of time, but he discovered that Ahren had outdoor heaters available, and they were stationed every few yards from each other. Leyra's hunting party brought back deer and wild berries, and a sheet was strung up with a projector for the movie night Ahren had planned.

Tonight's bonding party didn't seem all too eventful, no holiday or full moon to celebrate. Just a cozy few hours for everyone to cuddle up to one another and watch a couple winter-y movies. A stand for hot apple cider was set up next to the hunt's spoils, and multiple chairs and spare blankets were distributed among the field facing the large sheet where the movies would be playing.

Fox assumed he would be tasked with handing out food and drinks like usual, so once everything was finished, he headed over and took up post behind the stands. Ahren noticed Fox's positioning and walked over to him.

"You don't have to serve tonight. You've been working hard lately and deserve some time to rest," Ahren said. Fox just shrugged, glancing at the projector sheet.

"I'm not the biggest enjoyer of movies. I'm fine with serving," Fox replied.

"You don't necessarily have to watch. You can still rest and hang out," Ahren pointed out.

"Who's gonna serve the food and drink?" Fox queried. It was Ahren's turn to shrug, and he glanced at his Betas.

"Perhaps someone is willing to do a little extra work for a little extra pay," he suggested. He turned his gaze back to Fox. His brown eyes were gently imploring. "Please, Fox. Take some time to rest."

Fox took a moment to look around at the bonding sector. Each outdoor heating lamp had a cluster of chairs around it, and there were a few groupings of chairs in between, allowing for slight separation throughout the field. Fox wouldn't necessarily feel too claustrophobic, especially if he stayed near the very back.

"How will the pack feel about it?" he asked.

Ahren drew in a deep breath. It had an air of slight irritation to it, but Fox had a feeling that it wasn't directed at him. Mainly because Ahren turned a squinted-eyed look towards the few pack members who were arriving at the bonding party early. "I think the pack needs to learn to stop being so stuck-up sometimes, and accept what I'm trying to do."

Fox remembered that Ahren was trying to reintegrate lone wolves back into packs, if they proved to be good and just needed help with their equilibrium. Fox wasn't surprised that the pack didn't like the idea; they'd been given so many reasons to oppose it. But Fox couldn't lie to himself, he wished they would give him and others, like Star, a chance.

"So..." Ahren nudged, smiling at Fox as he waited for an answer.

"Okay," Fox relented. Ahren's smile widened. Fox searched the back end of the field and picked out a spot that only had a few chairs not too close to an outdoor heater. It wouldn't allow for anyone to sit behind him, and it was far enough away from the projector sheet that if he got up to do something else, he wouldn't draw anyone's attention.

He made his way over to claim it. Ahren followed behind him. Fox picked a seat on the edge of the cluster and settled in. Ahren walked over to one of the Betas who'd helped set up and spoke with him, probably asking to take Fox's spot at the stands. Ahren then went to double check if everything was ready to go.