Chapter 2.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Lyra was stumbling through the thick forest, her head turning this way and that, searching. Prim had disappeared from their camp in the early hours of the morning. Ezekiel and Cora had given Lyra one job when they'd left the pair to go into the nearby village for supplies.

'Look after your sister, Lyra.'

Of course, Prim would choose that very morning to run off into the forest.

Prim had always had a wild soul, always running, always laughing, always living. Perhaps it was because she was merely six winters, but Lyra liked to think that it was more than that. She liked to imagine that Prim's lively personality was just who she was, that unlike Lyra who already walked with hunched shoulders and tired eyes at the age of fourteen, her sister could be more than that. In moments like these, however, Prim's inability to sit still was a problem.

"Prim!" Lyra called out into the silent forest, her feet stumbled and tripped over rocks and tree roots as she walked. "Prim!"

She felt ridiculous, wandering around aimlessly shouting her sister's name, for all she knew Prim had run off in a completely different direction, for all Lyra knew she was already back at their camp from her little adventure.

She let out a harsh sigh, shaking her head at her own incompetence.

One job, she'd had one simple job.

One job, after she had forced them away from their home and on the run.

Useless.

Failure.

Curse.

Lyra huffed out a breath, she wanted to scream, fear consuming her senses.

Then she'd heard it.

A giggle.

Lyra felt her entire body slump with relief at the familiar sound of her sister's laugh.

"Prim?" Her voice came out as a hopeful whisper.

Another giggle.

"You win Prim, okay? You won the game." Lyra's voice was shaky and desperate as she spoke into the forest.

Her sister was nowhere to be seen, but she was there, hiding somewhere.

"You need to find me first!" Prim's happy voice bounced around, it could have come from anywhere.

Lyra took a step towards where she'd thought her sister's voice had come from. Only for her knees to buckle and her vision to shift. Pain erupted in her head, the feeling of somebody ripping her mind away from her body.

No.

No.

NO!

Not now.

Not now.

Not now! Not when she couldn't find Prim.

But Lyra had no control over when the visions came, she never had.

The smell of the ocean was what hit her first. Gone was the smell of pine and dirt, replaced by cold and salty winds. The wind was harsh against her face, cold and biting.

They were on a boat, no shore in sight. Two men stood arguing over something. Lyra could not hear their voices over the roaring wind and violent waves. Suddenly, one of the men grabbed the other by the neck, it looked as if he was bringing his friend into an embrace but instead, he shoved a knife into his brother's stomach. They were brothers, Lyra knew, the same way she always knew. She watched as betrayal flashed through the eyes of the brother. He went to speak.