"Fresh start"

___________________________________
"So that's all sweetheart?" My mom asked after I gave her my two last boxes

"Yup" I replied "I've cleaned some old stuff out, figured I would need it for the fresh start" I sighed

My mother had finally gotten her dream job so we were moving from my childhood town. It made me sad some days and some days not because I didn't have many close friends here.
____________________________________

Some months had flown by after the move and it was really starting to become summer. I didn't feel as sad as before because I had for once made some friends who I was actually close with.

One day after school my close friend Barbra asked me to study with after school as she needed help to practice for the English test. We were usually at my place since my mom was at work or at her boyfriend's place but this time he was here in our town. I didn't really like him and he absolutely hated me, he wanted mom all for himself. So I explained this to Barbra and she understood.

When we hopped in the car she passed me the lighter  "you never smoke?" I asked as I lit up. She shook her head "but still you have a lighter?"

"Yeah it's Carol she's always smoking, I mean just look at the lighter" she laughed and started driving

I looked down it was all scratched. I had heard that her sister had horrible anger issues and apparently
even took it out on her lighter.

____________________________________
Barbra parked the car in their driveway and we headed in. In the living room sat her youngest sister Debbie drawing something, their mother came and shook my hand "oh hi I assume you're Elizabeth?"

"Hi Mrs Denning, Yeah that's me" I smiled

"Such a pretty young girl, Barbra will you help me do some snacks for you guys. Thank you for helping her study"

I gave her a nice smile again"no problem" Barbra turned around towards me "you can go upstairs and I'll be there in a second" she said

But she forgot to tell me which room belonged to her. There were four rooms and two of them were open i quickly peeked in and realized it was her youngest sisters and parents bedroom so I had to take a guess on which door to open. Weird that they didn't have drawings or something placed on the door I thought, maybe because their mother didn't let them?

Anyway I opened one door and was met by an angry teenager "who the fuck are you?" She snapped

"Uhm I'm Barbra's friend sorry I've must've took the wrong room" I said awkwardly

"Yeah you probably did" Carol snapped again" and I went into barns room

Barbra had heard that carol had snapped at me and decided to lean against her door  "Carol don't scare my friend like that you idiot" she snapped

"Get the fuck out of my room" she yelled and slammed the door at her. But Barbra laughed it off, not even a second later carol opened her door "and tell your fucking friend to knock first"

"Were you doing something private in there you goddamn dyke" she mocked her

Carol slammed her door shut. She absolutely hated when somebody called her dyke and Barbra somehow found out that some jocks in school mocked her by saying various things but the only name that got her so furious was dyke.

She took up some of her paper and started scrabbling on them. But of course she couldn't focus as usual and instead lit a cigarette. Carol thought about Barbra's friend, she had never seen her before. She looked nice but carol definitely had to take one more look just to be sure. It didn't matter though because barbs friends were all the same popular boy crazy snitching girls.

——

"Gosh I'm sorry Barb" I said while taking up my books from my backpack.

"Oh it's nothing she's always like that" she then whispered "that's why nobody likes her, mom and dad didn't even want her" she joked

"Maybe that's why she's angry? Because she thinks that nobody likes her?"

"Well no one does" she said and then started talking about the English test

Nobody is born unlikable I thought for myself.

——

Carol had looked in the school yearbook but didn't find barbs friend so she had to figure out another way to see her. She stood up from her bed and went into her sisters room "hey Barb can I borrow an eraser?"

"No get out " barb snapped

"Here you can borrow mine " her friend said. And damn she was pretty, Carol didn't know what to say and just took off.

"You're not even going to say thank you?" Her sister laughed

"Fuck you" carol muttered as she slammed her door again

"Why did you give it to her?" Barb asked me

"Because I got plenty at home and she needed one" I brushed it off