9 - We play Capture the Flag and I kind of win

The next day, I wake up to Don's familiar knocking, and it takes me a full minute to realize someone moved me back to my cabin. I sit up slowly, but the ashy feeling is gone, the only remnant a dry, sooty taste in my mouth.

"Elana!" Don shouts, banging on the door and I rub at my eyes, registering the fact that I'm already fully dressed and my hilt is sitting in my pocket. "Come on, we're going to be late! It starts after breakfast!"

That wakes me up, a surge of competition rushing through me. Standing, I run to the door, flinging it open with a grin.

"Don!"

"Elana!" He yells, and I jump down to give him a hug. I guess the aftereffects of nectar are still wearing off, because I feel unusually chirpy. "You ready?"

"Yep," I grin, scanning him. There are no flowers in his hair today, and he's wearing shining golden armor that brings out his green eyes. If he's ever looked like a god's son, it would be now.

"Here," Don says. "Chiron told me to give you these, they're your Counselor's armor." I blink, but take the dark bundle from him, and unwrap it as we start to walk towards the dining area. I raise my eyebrows at the armor as it's revealed, reluctantly very impressed. It's made out of something that looks like obsidian, but doesn't weigh any more than normal armor. The material shimmers slightly, like dim stars, and is intricately carved with spiraling screech owls, snakes, and moons. When I've clipped it all on to the under harness thingy, Don lets out a low whistle. "Well... you look... extremely deadly, if I say so myself."

"Thank you," I smile, and catch the eye of Clarisse from across the dining area, wearing a ruddy golden set of wicked armor. I nod and she grins. "Well, see you in a few." I wave goodbye to Don, and walk to sit at the Hades table, very grateful to see a mug of coffee and a half full plate of breakfast waiting for me. Catching Percy's eye at the Hermes's table, I smile, nodding. Luke grins at me and I dig in, but only finished half of my sausage when a conch blows, and the Nymphs hurry to clear the plates, leaving the campers to stand.

The camp turns to cheers as Annabeth and two others run in through one way, carrying a silver flag decorated with a olive tree and barn owl. Clarisse runs in from the other way, carrying a flag of the same size with a bloody spear and a boar head painted crudely upon it.

The teams are announced, and it turns out I was one of the only ones who knew them, because the news of Athena, Apollo and Hermes verses Ares, Demeter, Dionysus, Aphrodite, Hephaestus and Hades makes people turn and whisper to each other.

Luke turns towards me, raising his eyebrows at my alliance. I grin at him, flipping out my sword and tilting my head in challenge. He grins, narrowing his eyes, his own challenge echoing. We'll see how well he can defend their flag now.

Chiron stomps his foot down on the floor.

"Heroes!" He yells. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed, but the flags must be prominently displayed with no more than two guards. No killing or maiming, but I will be the on ground medic in case of emergency. Arm yourselves!"

He waves an arm and weapons clatter down onto the tables. Only two things clatter down onto mine, both made of the same obsidian material of my armor. The first is a small round shield that clips perfectly into my left arm, and is a helmet, curved menacingly at the bottom like fangs. Unlike Annabeth, Luke and Percy, who have blue horsehair plumes, I have blood red.