17

It's been a few days since I've seen Paige and over a week since I've seen everyone one else. It's refreshing, honestly. I've felt way less stressed. But it's Sunday now which means church and women's Bible study with Paige. I didn't talk to her at church as we sit on opposite sides of the sanctuary, but she did smile and wave at me which I returned. Hopefully she's normal and doesn't do anything weird like stare at me during prayer.

I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing a lot more of Paige now that Azzi has went back to Connecticut. She'll be trying to coordinate more hang outs with all of us. Or even worse, try to hang out with me one on one. I'm not ready for that. It seems forced. We barely know each other really. Friendship shouldn't be a thing that is forced. Besides, I don't want to be besties with her or anything, I just think that since she's going to be here all summer, we might as well be cordial.

My mom and sisters haven't bothered me anymore about Paige. Even Liv seems to be hating her less every day.

When I get to bible study Paige is already there, sitting at the same table as usual with Deana. Her face lights up when I walk in and she smiles at me, sitting up a little straighter.

"Hey, Ella!" Everyone greats me as I come in.

"Hey," I sit beside Paige and she smiles at me brightly.

"Paige was just telling me your birthday is coming up," Deana tells me.

My birthday isn't for three more weeks. Why is Paige telling Deana? Why is Paige thinking about my birthday at all?

Paige just keeps smiling at me like a little ray of sunshine.

"Yep," I say, trying not to show how weird I think it is that Paige remembers my birthday, let alone is talking to people about it three weeks prior.

"So you're going to be the big two one," Deana says cheerily, "How are you going to celebrate?"

Is she serious? I'm turning 21. What does she think I'm going to do? Go to Chuck E. Cheese?

"Um," I try to think of something on the spot, "Probably just going to go eat somewhere with my family."

Paige looks at me skeptically. What does she want me to say? Tell this church lady I'm going to go clubbing for the first time legally? Then have to explain to her what clubbing is?

"Sounds fun," she says, "We should do something here the Sunday before!"

"Yeah!" Paige agrees.

"Oh no," I say, "You all don't need to do anything for me."

"We could just bring a cake or something," Deana suggests.

"Me and my mom can make it," Paige immediately volunteers.

"Your mom is a great baker," Deana says and Paige nods in agreement.

Well I guess Paige and her mom are making me a birthday cake.

Rebecca starts and we all pay attention. She talks more today and doesn't ask us to talk as much which I'm grateful for.

"What are you doing after this?" Paige whispers to me when it's almost time for this to be over.

"Just going back home," I tell her.

"Have you had dinner yet?"

"No," I tell her honestly and immediately regret it.

Is she going to ask me on a date?

"We should make dinner together," she tells me, "Like we were talking about."

Like she was talking about.

"Um," I think for a second. Making dinner together seems completely platonic to me.