Chapter One: Nothing But Dread In the Air

Dove 🕊

I expected summer break to end as quickly as it started. Today will be my first day back...as a senior. Isn't that crazy? Time sure does go by quickly.

I slowly drag myself out of bed, contemplating whether or not I should just skip the first day.

In all honesty, I do not feel like dealing with the people at my school. Seriously, the only tolerable people there are my friends, and sometimes even my friends are intolerable.

I make my way into my bathroom, quickly brushing my teeth and combing through my curly brunette hair. Before you ask, "Why hasn't this girl taken a shower?" I'll fill you in that I did indeed take one last night.

My friend Elora is going to pick me and my other friend Lorelai up. Both of them have been my best friends since fifth grade. I'm lucky I have them though. They're both socially outgoing while I on the other hand hate the idea of having a conversion with a stranger.

After throwing on a red and black pleated miniskirt with a plain grey sweater, I make my way downstairs. As I enter the kitchen, I see my mom by the stove dancing while attempting to make breakfast. I love my mother, but she just can't cook. Like, at all.

"How's my wonderful daughter feeling about her first day of school?" She says, holding a spatula which I'm guessing is supposed to be a mic, towards my face.

"I don't want to go to school." I mumble as I make my way to the counter, pouring myself a bowl of cereal and grabbing a spoon.

"You don't want try the food I made for you?" She says disappointed.

"No! Of course I'll try it." I quickly get up, grab my spoon, and lift the 'breakfast', which consists of eggs and pancakes, into my mouth.

"It's actually really good." I lie.

What, I'm not going to hurt my mother's feelings. That's just not on my list for today, or ever. One of these days I'll have to suck it up and be honest with her, just not now.

"That's great!" She says as her eyes sparkle.

After I practically force myself to finish the breakfast, I kiss my mom goodbye and head towards the front door, slipping on a pair of black converse as I exit the house.

Just as I shut the front door, Elora's car pulls up into the driveway. Lorelai sits in the front passenger seat, sporting a pair of shades which rest on top of her neatly curled black hair. Elora sits right beside her in the driver's seat, her brown skin tone contrasting to the orange crop top that she's wearing.

"Hey guys!" I say as I quickly enter the car.

"Who's ready for their first day back!?" Elora speaks enthusiastically, exiting the driveway and driving towards school.

"Not me, what about you Lorelai?" I ask. Lorelai is pretty much the only one out of us three that actually does well in school. I've always been quite envious of her, but not in a bad way. She always manages to look effortless and she doesn't have to try to get good grades. Life is just not fair.

"I'm pretty excited myself! I'm not sure what Elora's so excited about. She doesn't even like school." She says before turning her head to look out the car window.

"Umm, for your information, the only reason why I'm so hyped in the first place is because I heard there's a new guy, and I've also heard he's absolutely gorgeous." Elora says, quickly finding a parking space as we arrive at school.

"You do you, my friend." I say as I exit the car, getting ready for the day ahead.

Sooo, how did you like the first chapter? This is my first book and I'm pretty new at this, so it may be a bit wonky. I'm not sure if I'll update frequently because I'm generally not a consistent person, but we'll see!