sixteen.

now playing: "Closer" by Goapele

Beyoncé

"Watch your step. The wood ain't as stable as I thought it would be. I've been meanin' to replace this whole floor and fix that fence over there. Nearly fell through myself last month."

The crisp, pine-scented air of Houston's outskirts was a balm, drifting off the nearby lake as I took in the sight. The once sparse and neglected plot of land that my uncle had purchased years ago had been utterly transformed.

Where my mother had once scoffed and railed against his 'poor decision', seeing nothing but a fool's errand in the vast emptiness of the land, now even she would struggle to hide her surprise.

The small, random shack that had dotted the landscape was now replaced by a growing structure that stood with purpose, reflecting the resilience and determination of the man who had built it.

The lake, a stone's throw from where we sat, held the sky's reflection like a precious piece of art, the ripples telling tales of the soft breeze that danced upon it. Willows lined the water's edge, their drooping branches swaying gently, offering a whispered soundtrack to the scene.

Uncle Johnny had not only built a home but had also cultivated the land, nurturing it until it blossomed into a verdant sanctuary that hummed with life.

Dragonflies flitted between the reeds, and the occasional splash of a fish leaping for a meal punctuated the tranquility. The property was now a harmonious blend of nature and nurture, the wildness of the land tamed just enough to coexist with the homeliness of the ranch.

A large deck that jutted out from the side. Fresh paint in a soft, welcoming hue clung to the exterior, and flower boxes brimming with vibrant blooms hung beneath each window, adding more complementary splashes of color.

The porch protested underfoot, a plank bowing outward in warning, eliciting a startled squeal from my lips. Uncle Johnny's laughter chased away the momentary fear as he ushered us inside.

The interior was a revelation. Sunlight cascaded through the open windows, casting the polished wooden floors in a golden glow.

An unassuming entertainment center housed a modest television, flanked by shelves heavy with literary classics and thick volumes on mechanics, fashion, and archival issues of Essence, Jet, and Vibe Magazine—a testament to Uncle Johnny's diverse interests.

The adjoining kitchen exuded the warmth of a recently baked lemon bundt cake, with the scent weaving its way through the air, tugging at childhood memories.

Across from the TV, a brown couch and matching recliner held court, a handmade quilt meticulously folded over its back, while the walls were adorned with framed photographs that spoke of love and simple joys.