Chapter 23

Princess Sooji's laughter was 𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘯𝘵.

What was I saying, the woman in front of me was the definition of perfection.

"Did you see his face? Priceless! Never seen him reach the brink of his mood," she said amidst her giggles. I could only watch in awe, noticing her dimples for the first time. After a few moments, she sighed, "Ah, I've laughed so much my ribs hurt." 

Her grin made my stomach flutter, prompting me to remember to consult my doctor soon. "You wanted to say anything?" she inquired, tilting her head curiously. "Have you made your decision?" I asked, eager to move forward.

Her smile faltered slightly, "Oh, of course! I'd like to come," she replied before a knock interrupted us. "Come in, please!" she called out, beating me to the punch. A messenger entered and bowed, "Greetings Princess Sooji and King Hyuntae, I have a message from the King." "What does he want so soon? We've only been away from the meeting for a few minutes," I questioned.

"Princess, the King has extended an invitation solely to you," he informed her, his voice tinged with a hint of nervousness.

" Oh," Sooji responded, her expression momentarily vacant before turning to me. Contemplating the appropriate course of action." You must attend," I advised her, yet she gestured towards me and arched her eyebrows, " I have not received an invitation, attending without one would compromise my integrity, a sacrifice I am unwilling to make" I endeavored to maintain my usual composed and dignified demeanor, though my resentment towards the King seeped into my words, a fact not lost on Sooji. Blast it all." It wouldn't be proper! Because we're....." she faltered in completing her sentence, but I understood her unspoken sentiment. " Nonetheless, you should go," I declared before exiting the chamber.

(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ sooji's pov ♥

My breath hitched in my throat as Hyuntae walked away, that was embarrassing, I should go and change into something less fancy for the after-party. " Thank you, " I said to the messenger and he bowed and left. I too left Hyuntae's chamber after him and advanced towards my room. In a few minutes, I was again getting dressed. Miane brought over my dress and I blushed at the sight of it. " Isn't that too foul don't you think? " I asked, " King's orders," she said gruffly, she didn't approve of it either. " But it looks amazing on you!" Ruby my handmaiden said.

" I feel uncomfortable," I said sheepishly, but everyone patted me and said it was time to go.

As usual, the moment I entered the door, the gate-man announced my arrival. 

No one acknowledged my presence this time, as the room was filled with revelry and intoxication. A group of familiar faces beckoned me over, including Countess Eden, who greeted me with a smile.

" How're you? " Countess Eden asked me smiling, she was nineteen like me and was married to the famous war hero Riftan. I was keen to hear the story from Eden herself.  "How're you?" she asked, her eyes sparkling with mischief. Beside her, Marchioness Nerys made a sly comment about my current situation, causing a ripple of laughter. "Drink and forget your worries, Sooji," Nerys said, handing me a glass. I hesitated for a moment before giving in to the temptation, feeling the familiar warmth of alcohol spreading through me.

As I continued to indulge, Eden warned me to be careful, but I paid no heed. Glass after glass, until Nerys intervened, stopping me from reaching for another drink. 

The room began to blur, the sounds of chaos growing louder. Hands tugged at me but went away. I was left alone, and more crashing echoed. Voices were screaming outside.

Suddenly, a familiar voice cut through the haze, and I found myself face-to-face with King Hyuntae, who was looking extra handsome right now. "You're drunk, huh?" he remarked, a hint of amusement in his voice. Wrapping me in his coat, he guided me out of the chaos, his hands on my waist just like that time, my body shivered, not because of the cold. He started asking about my handmaidens. My mind struggled to respond before everything faded to black. T