01

Loren

I've been controlling this urge for months but I don't know what suddenly comes over me to stand at where I promise not to and think what I promise not to.

I can't force myself to drop the scissors and look at myself normally for once like I'm fine and okay.

But I'm not fine.

I'm hurting myself mentally. Not physically. I'm scared of pain. Physical pain. I promise not to cut it anymore and I succeed for months. But now it rushes back in as soon as I start to forget about it.

My hair is growing longer now and I'm hesitating to follow what my brain told me. I bring the scissors closer and closer to my hair as I stare at my action in the mirror.

I'm fine.

I'm normal.

I'm in control.

Just a little bit won't hurt.

I was close to doing so before someone knocked on the door.

"Loren?" Mom's voice from outside.

I panicked and dropped the scissors before coming back to my senses and quickly picked it up and put it back in the drawer.

"You okay in there, honey?"

I take a deep breath before opening the door, "yes, I'm fine."

I fake smiles as I look at her.

"The driver's here," I suddenly remember about today's plan.

I nodded and followed her out. People already move everything in our house and the sale sign in front of the yard.

We're not buying a new house or anything, in fact, mom engaged with another man. I'm not even mad about it. After three years of that man being in jail, mom lives a very struggling life. She works as a nurse and I rarely even see her home. After two years, last year, she met a man. Not only a man. He's a billionaire who owns the biggest tech company in the world. I was surprised at how a normal single mother like her always works met such a guy.

She told me that he got hurt very badly and went to the hospital she works in and she's his nurse. He asked for her contact before leaving the hospital and they started hanging out and you know how the rest is.

He's no other than the richest man in the country, namely Astor Kuznetsov.

He proposed to her last week and wanted us to move in with him and his son. Which will soon be my stepfather and stepbrother. All I know is my stepbrother is a year older and his name is Carlos.

Astor, my mom's fiance, is a very powerful man. He put his money in so many big businesses and always invested his money into charity especially the home shelter.

As for Carlos, he's his father's subordinate. Like a father and son duo. They always go to a big event together and it was obvious he's the heir to the fortune in the future.

And yes, I research about it. It's not weird.

I met Astor many times and I could understand why mom fell for him. He may be a wealthy and powerful man but he has a really respectful personality. He's supportive, funny, and nice. He likes to laugh and joke. It doesn't match his face at all. But I'm happy my mom found him.