Origins Part 1: What Goes Around

Misty peered out from behind a tree, making sure no one saw her. She loved the gang, really, but sometimes she just preferred to be alone.

The forest was truly beautiful at dusk. It seemed like only yesterday she had helped Candi hang the twinkling fairy lights across the path.

Most people were scared of the darkness, but not her. In fact, she couldn't think of anything more peaceful-

SNAP!

"What was that?!" She cried out in alarm, reaching for her spellbook and casting the Super Hearing spell. She focused her magic, singling out the sound she had heard: a deer, male, no older than two years - and judging from the rush of water she could hear, he must've fallen into the river.

She rushed over, her suspicions confirmed when she saw the young deer flailing about in the water. Thinking quickly, she cast a levitation spell on the deer, carefully lifting him out of the water and onto the safety of the riverbank.

As she turned to head back to the campsite, however, a sharp pain shot through her ankle. There was no way it would support her all the way back to the campsite.

Just then, another deer passed by, this time a female. The deer locked eyes with Misty and stomped her foot on the ground, conveying a clear message: "Hop on!" 

Misty climbed onto the deer's back, not uttering a word. Yet the deer seemed to understand her destination. Within minutes, they arrived back at the campsite.

"Where have you been?" Dude hissed, more than a little annoyed that she'd ran off like that.

"We were really worried," Candi chimed in, concern etched on her face. "What happened to your ankle?"

"I sprained it," Misty replied nonchalantly, shrugging her shoulders.

As Bud tended to her ankle, Misty turned to introduce her friends to the deer. However, to her surprise, the deer had vanished just as mysteriously as it had appeared. Oh well, Misty thought, perhaps some secrets are best kept hidden for now...