Chapter 3: The Shadows Whisper

Misha's escape plan, concocted in hushed whispers with Lemh, was audacious. A hidden passage within the dungeons, rumored to lead outside the castle walls, offered a glimmer of hope. But navigating its darkness, evading patrolling guards, and facing unforeseen dangers demanded meticulous planning and unwavering resolve.
Lemh, fueled by guilt and a newfound determination, procured a rough map of the passage from a sympathetic scullery maid. Misha, her senses on high alert, memorized its twists and turns. The night of their escape arrived, cloaked in the inky blackness of a moonless sky.
With trembling hands, Lemh pried open a loose stone, revealing the passage's entrance. A dank chill washed over them as they descended, the air thick with dust and the unsettling silence broken only by the drip of water and their own ragged breaths.
The map, a mere guideline in the oppressive darkness, proved unreliable. Dead ends, crumbling passages, and the ever-present fear of discovery gnawed at their spirits. Yet, they pressed on, fueled by a shared yearning for freedom and justice.
Hours bled into what felt like an eternity. Just as despair threatened to engulf them, a faint glimmer pierced the darkness. Hope surged through Misha's veins. The passage had led them to an abandoned well, its mouth hidden by overgrown vines.
Clambering out, they found themselves in a deserted courtyard, the castle looming like a sleeping giant in the distance. Freedom lay just beyond the fortified walls, but scaling them seemed an insurmountable task.
Suddenly, a guttural growl shattered the silence. Two guards emerged from the shadows, their expressions hardening upon seeing the escapees. Misha's heart hammered against her ribs, but before the guards could react, a blur of movement filled the air.
A cloaked figure, wielding a dagger with deadly precision, disarmed the guards in a whirlwind of strikes. The figure, its face hidden in the shadows, turned towards them, revealing a pair of piercing blue eyes.
"Who are you?" Misha whispered, her voice barely audible.
The figure chuckled, a dry rasping sound. "A friend in the shadows," it replied, its voice raspy and aged. "Consider this a debt repaid, Prince Lemh. Now, be swift. Your window of escape is closing."
With a final nod, the mysterious figure melted back into the darkness. Seizing the opportunity, Misha and Lemh sprinted towards the wall, their pursuers' cries echoing behind them. Adrenaline fueled their climb, their hands finding purchase on rough stones and uneven ledges.
Reaching the top, they tumbled onto the other side, landing with breathless gasps on the soft earth of the forest beyond. Freedom tasted sweet, but the cheers died in their throats as they realized their ordeal had only just begun.
With the enemy kingdom on their heels and a treacherous journey ahead, Misha and Lemh knew their fight for Smervin had only just begun. Who was the mysterious savior in the shadows? What dangers lurked on their path to freedom? And could their fragile trust withstand the trials that lay ahead?
These questions swirled in their minds as they ventured deeper into the unknown, the weight of their quest settling heavily on their shoulders. The road ahead would be fraught with danger, but Misha, the blind princess, and Lemh, the guilt-ridden prince, were determined to forge their own destiny, even if it meant embracing the shadows to bring light to their kingdom.