Left Behind: The Memories of My Savior

"It's time isn't it?"

"Yeah."

Morty and I stood in front of the device we built— it glowed with a bright green luminous light.

"Do we know it'll work?"

"It'll work, I know it. I can feel it."

"And what happens when we're there?"

"Well, we'll have five minutes. We can't leave earlier, and we can't stay later. If we don't save him in time, we don't get sent back or get another chance. Either we accept he's gone, or build it all over again."

"So this is it."

"You don't have to do this, Morty. You could die."

"And so could you, but you're going in away. We're doing this together. So, will there be two of us in the same timeline?"

"Well, our bodies will replace the old ones. In reality, those versions of us will cease to exist."

"So we can't bring anything to prepare?"

"No."

I took a step forward and Morty followed me. I didn't know what lies ahead but in a perfect world, we would save him and this mess would end. We could go back to the lives I desperately longed for.

"Let's save Rick."

After stepping in, the device began whirring up and I looked to Morty, a hand on his shoulder.

"We got this, okay?"

"I trust you, (Y/N)."

It was hard describing what I felt, but I closed my eyes and felt a general displacement. It was a difficult sensation to describe.

It kind of felt like an airplane taking off. I felt the machine jerk us around just a little bit, and the familiar sounds of gunfire seemed to faze back into my ear.

I opened my eyes and saw the bright lights around me. Once my eyes did adjust, I could see the countless Rick's surrounding me.

"Why did they have to kidnap us today of all days?!" Rick asked, pissed off.

"Aww, you're mad because we had a d—" My brain felt like it lagged between what used to be the past but was now the present.

"Ew, guys!" Morty wretched. "We don't have—"

He stopped and looked at me with confusion before a big grin engulfed his face.

"Did you two ding-dongs just have a mental lapse or something?" Rick asked and we both looked at him.

"Rick! We traveled in time to save you!"
"I have so much I need to tell you."
"(Y/N) and I worked together to build a device."
"I couldn't live without you."
"And she wouldn't sleep because she just kept building and building—"
"I know you told me not to mess with time travel—"

"Both of you stop!" Rick cut us both off. "You guy time travelled?!"

"Rick, you died!" I said, tears in my eyes. "I didn't know what else to do."