Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

It was Friday morning, Minji got up early to get ready for school.  Last year of middle school isn't so bad but she was a lot busier than she imagined she would be since starting. Her parents have revamped her days with more classes and extracurricular activities. Saying something about how she should look up to Taehyung now that she's in last year of middle school. They're always trying to compare them together.

Taehyung is a few years older than her and is the golden child of the family. Her parents always expect her to carry herself like him, to do the same thing as him, ever since she was young. She hates it, she hates how she doesn't even have control over her life. She can't choose her own hobbies or friends, it's always what her parents want and what Taehyung's interests are. Minji might still be young but she's at the age where she wants to find out her own ambitions and interest. She knows she's not like Tae; He's social, he's smart and people gravitate to him naturally. While Minji on the other hand; she prefers to stay quiet and hidden for the most part. The less attention the better. She's used to it as her parents always gave their attention to Taehyung and Hyein the most.

Hyein is only a year younger than her but she's already up to their parent's standards. "Little Tae" in the making is what they call her. She's bubbly and is very sweet. She knows about Minji's feelings about their parent's pressure on her to be just like their older brother. Hyein is caring, she empathizes with Minji. Even though Hyein is young, her thought process is very mature and is always thinking about the other person's feelings. Maybe it's because she pays attention to Minji's troubled looks every time their parent's make a comment on how Minji isn't living up to their expectations. Or how she hears Minji cry at night after their parents reprimand her.

Minji knows Hyein cares for her, she doesn't have to say anything to her. Hyein will just hold her hand, give it a tight squeeze and smile brightly at her. Or sometimes Hyein will just barge into Minji's room and demand a sleepover when she knows that Minji has had an exhausting day dealing with their parents. Hyein never asks Minji why her eyes are red or swollen, she'll just jump up on her bed and ask if she wants to watch a movie or play video games. Minji knows that Hyein understands her and she's thankful that she doesn't have to tell her everything at that moment.

MINJI POV:

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEE-* ugh. I hate that sound. It only means one thing and it's the fact that I have to get ready for school soon. I lay on my bed for 5 more minutes just staring up at the dark ceiling. The darkness and my warm comforter pulled me to close my eyes and snooze my alarm one more time. Just five more minutes.

"MINJI-AH" Taehyung yells at my closed door.

"MINJI-AH, YOU BETTER BE READY IN 30 MINUTES OR I'M LEAVING YOU" Taehyung yells and bangs on my door one last time before I hear his footsteps echoing in the hallway.

"UGH, the dream was getting to the good part too" I groggily sat up on my bed and made my way to my en-suite bathroom. I squinted as my eyes adjusted to the light.

"I look rough," I say to myself. I cried myself to sleep last night again. It's been happening more frequently now that I'm on my last year of middle school. My parent's have been on my butt lately about how I should be more like Tae. How Tae did this and that during his middle school years and I should follow the same path.

They want me to join the Debate team, Student Council and an athletic club. I don't even like those activities. I hate being in the spotlight. They were pretty upset with me because they found out that I chose art and music for my electives. Saying something about how I should be taking courses that are more practical and what not. They just want to brag more to their friends about how great their kids are. They already have Taehyung and Hyein for that.

I shake my head to get those thoughts out. I really need to get ready or else, Taehyung will really leave me behind and that's another scolding I'll get from Mom and Dad. I quickly get ready and head downstairs. Tae and Hyein are already in the dining room eating breakfast. I guess mom and dad already left.

" Good morning Minji Unnie" Hyein greets me brightly. She's always so full of energy in the morning.

"Is it a really good morning, Hyein?" I look at her with a deadpan look.

"Fine. Have a day that you deserve then, Unnie" Hyein sticks her tongue out at me and I can't help but laugh. Energetic and feisty so early in the morning. I ruffle her hair and stick my tongue out at her too as I took my seat beside her.

"UNNIE" she cries out. She reaches out to stop my hand from messing up her hair even more. She smooths out her hair and looks at me with the cutest pout.

"Sorry, sorry," I say in between laughs. I look at the table in front of me and grab a piece of toast, butter and strawberry jam. I'm not really that hungry. As I'm making my breakfast I feel someone staring at me. I looked to my side and Hyein was busy eating her pancakes that were smothered in a godly amount of maple syrup and butter. I look up and see that it was Taehyung that has been looking at me. We make eye contact and he just nods at me.

Tae and I haven't really talked in a while, aside from casual conversations. Ever since he started High School, he's just been very busy and is rarely home. We used to be close when we were younger. He would always play video games with me and would entertain all the ideas I had when we were kids. He doesn't say much anymore but I know he cares. I also know that he heard the argument with our parents last night.

"Sir, Miss, we have to leave soon" Our driver/bodyguard Taecyeon says.

We head out to the car and Taecyeon oppa dropped us off at school. As Hyein gets out of the car, I see Haerin out in the front. We make eye contact and she immediately glares at me. I looked at her dumbfounded and was about to say something but Taehyung stops me and gives little Hyein a kiss on top of her head and wishes her to have a good day at school. I was still seething until I felt a kiss on my cheek and saw Hyein smiling brightly at me.

"Have a good day, Unnie" she says to me, still smiling. I remember our conversation this morning and was about to reach up to ruffle her hair again but she moved away fast and started running towards Haerin.

"YAH" I yelled out. Hyein just turns around and sticks her tongue out at me and laughs. I smiled at her but that smile soon turned into a frown. Haerin was looking at me. No, she was glaring at me. I don't even know what I did to her for her to give me that look today. I haven't even talked to her.

"I'm gonna head to class, you should start heading that way too Minji" Taehyung says to me. It brings me back to reality and realize that everyone is heading to their respective homerooms now.

Ador Academy is your typical rich prestigious school. Very traditional in their teaching and you're pretty much guaranteed to attend prestigious universities after. It's an escalator school so from pre-k to high school. Everyone has grown up together and has their own established friend groups. It's hard to get in unless your parents are rich or very smart. It's especially hard for transfer students since the school is very cliquey.

"Earth to Minji" I heard someone say before I felt someone putting me in a headlock.

Hyewon, one of Haerin's older sisters. She's in the same grade as me and my classmate. She's probably one of my closest friends outside my siblings. Her and I would hang out alot at my house since I don't really like to go over to hers anymore.

"I swear, you and your sister have a personal vendetta against me" I choked out as she let me out of the headlock.

"Pfft. Which one? Haerin or Jennie?" She laughs and starts walking towards the school.

"Wait, does Jennie hate me too?" I yelled out to her. She laughs even more. Kim Jennie, the IT girl of Ador Academy. Hyewon and Haerin's older sister. Hyewon knows I have the fattest crush on her sister. I used to think it's because I admired her confidence and the way she carried herself but who am I kidding? Kim Jennie is gorgeous and leaves me speechless every time she talks to me. She's probably the only one I don't mind having their attention on me. I turn into a rambling idiot and stutter like crazy everytime she looks at my direction or talks to me.