12-My Grudges Against Shoes Prevail

'It's hard to catch time and lock it away'

The quest felt longer without Annabeth. The weight of Corey's pocket felt like a boulder even though the pearl was in Percy's. They had escaped the forest, ending up in a dessert like terrain. Corey stayed quiet as the boys spoke, her heart heavy with guilt. It should have been her stuck in the forest, not Annabeth. She had more regret than a child, yet she was able to kick it away without a second glance.

Corey is basically a veteran when it came to being a half-blood, she'd face every monster that wasn't killed in the war. The Minatour, cyclops, sirens, you name it she fought it. Corey has seen young innocent kids walk into camp then saddened ones leave. Annabeth was just a kid, she shouldn't have had to leave the quest the way she did.

"Weird. Haven't heard the dog in a while" Grover spoke, the wind drowning out his voice. "Yeah, maybe he doesn't like sand?" Corey tried to crack a joke, barely able to form a smile. "He chased us all that way and then just... stopped?" Percy questioned, "I wonder why".

"That's what I'm saying. It's weird" Grover agreed. Corey kicked a rock, watching it hit the sand. She looked down, trying to find another rock to kick.

"Grover?" She called out, her eyes wide as they stayed trained on his hooves. The boys both looked back, this was the first time she had spoken since the forest. Before Grover could answer, the sounds of wings fluttering filled the silence. Percy copied Corey, looking at Grover with more fear than shock as Grover began to hover in the air.

"Grover, where are you going?" Percy called out as he tried to run after him, Corey doing the same. "I don't-- I don't know. I-- I can't stop!" Grover yelled, trying to reach out to Percy. Corey tried to grab onto his arm too, but those goddamn shoes kept pulling him away.

The siblings ran after as Grover as the flying shoes began to drag him up a sand dune. "Corey! Percy! It's the shoes!" He shouted as He began to go down hill. A dark large pit awaited him, fear striking the trio. "Grover!" Percy screamed, latching onto Grover's hand. "Percy!" Corey screamed as the shoes brought the boys closer to the pit.

Percy unsheathed his sword, pierced the sand as far as possible as he could. The wings flapped harder as Corey reached out for Percy. Her hand gripped the one Percy had on his sword, feeling the strength the small wings possessed. "Guys!" Grover cried out as the shoes began to slip off of his hooves. Corey reached out her other hand for Grover to take.

Grover did his best to climb closer to the siblings, the shoes' wings flapping more aggressively. The shoes finally flew off Grover's feet, flying down towards the dark pit. The sounds of the wings faded as Corey helped Grover up. The trio did their best to get as far away from the pit. Percy lost his foot for a split second, falling on his back.

The sound of metal clanking made Corey and Grover look at Percy with shock. Percy was just as surprised, already feeling a weight on his shoulders from the backpack. "What was that?" Grover asked, still panting from his near death experience. Percy immediately took the backpack off his shoulders, unzipping it and opening it for his best friend and sister to see.

Sitting inside the backpack was a hand crafted, Celestial bronze weapon in the shape of a lightning bolt. Corey gasped, a hand flying over her mouth as her eyes stayed trained on the weapon. "Is this–" Percy was cut off by Grover's blunt, "No". He looked at his sister, "I mean, it looks like–" once more the young blond was cut off, "It absolutely is not" Corey gawked, her heart pounding in her ears. "Okay" Percy smacked his lips, treading lightly, "So, what is it then?" He asked them.

"That's Zeus' bolt" Corey spluttered, gently taking it from Percy's hand and looking at the intricate details. "Yeah, that's the master bolt" Grover gulped with fear. " I mean, I think so, right?" Percy assumed, seeing as this was the frist time he had seen the infamous bolt he supposedly stole. "How is it in your bag?" Grover asked him, his curiosity over taking his fear. Percy furrowed his eyebrows, a frown appearing on his face. "Wait, this isn't my bag. This is the bag Ares gave me" He exclaimed.