3

୨୧*˚·

     VARIAN YAWNED, listening to the stories of the townsfolk. he stood by (name)'s side as she sat on her father's throne. while varian was bored out of his mind, (name) listened attentively at the man facing her. he was talking about some kind of.. candy apple being stolen?

"yes your highness! you have got to help me!" he yelled, clutching his chest. "w-well, what kind of candy apple was this?" she asked, anxiously rubbing her thumb on her hand as she interwined them.

varian noticed this, and taking note of it. "it was.. well caramel, with— oh, oh, sprinkles!" he yelled. (name) nodded, humming. "i'll call in the chefs and make you one. don't worry, sir." she smiled. the man teared up, "thank you princess." he bowed and left.

once out of sight, she sighed heavily. varian gave a side smile. "i think that guy was just hungry." he motioned for the door that the man exited from. "probably.. but.. i don't want to fight it anymore." she let out a laugh and awaited for the next person.

she continued to rub her thumb on her hand, biting her lip to the point it bled. she'd been anxious since the moment she woke up, what if she messed up? what if she isn't actually fit for this? would she ever be a good queen?

then she felt another's hand grab hers. varian took her hand in his and warmed it up, rubbing his own thumb on her hand. "i'm here (name)." he whispered, keeping his eyes on the throne room's door.

nobody would ever find a criminal comforting them in a time of need to be.. well, comforting.

but to (name), it soothed her. she watched varian's eyes make his way to her eyes. "what?" he laughed. like, a genuinely warm laugh. she smiled, shaking her head. "nothing. thank you."

୨୧*˚·

"aaand, that's last of them." varian closed the throne room's doors. (name) slouched in her chair and watched the sun set out one of the window's. "thanks for being here varian." varian shrugged, "i mean, for the next five days i'm going to have to he following you around." he walked towards her and helped her up.

(name) sighed. "so. how'd you.. like it?" she winced upon hearing it come out of her mouth what she thought would be a good question. varian rolled his eyes. that was enough of a response.

"oh varian, i forgot to tell you, i pulled some strings and um.. you'll be getting some of your alchemy stuff back." varian's eyes lit up. "you're serious?" he took her shoulders. "y-yes, i think you atleast deserve it. and i uh.. i heard about your dad."

varian's eyes widened more. "o-oh." he said empty. (name) bit her lip, "and about what rapunzel did. varian," she took his hands. "i will do everything in my power to help you." varian stared at their hands.

but he pulled away. "yeah.. thanks, princess." he rubbed his neck, and walked off. (name) let out a sigh as he watched him take off in his room. "i shouldn't have said that." she bit her bloodied lip again, tasting the red liquid.

୨୧*˚·

that night, varian stayed up figuring out a formula for his father. he drank about three cups of coffee, his clock reading two in the morning. he just couldn't get the solution right. he grasped the quill in his hand, as if it would fly away if he let go.

"maybe if i change this.. with this one.." he groaned, "no! that's not," he let out a deep sigh and melted in his chair. "i'm never going to get this right." he tried to take another sip of his coffee, but it was empty.

"oh god, was that my third?" he asked himself, standing up and planned to go into the kitchen. on his way there, he could hear mumbling. he turned to the kitched, peeking with half his face.

rapunzel. he snarled.

"no.. we have to be quiet, we'll sleep in our rooms and i'll go into (name)'s room. no worries." she let out a nervous laugh, that seemed to similar to (name)'s.

୨୧*˚·

(name) was woken up with hands shaking her shoulder. "wh-what? varian?" varian had his eyebrows furrowed and his his eyes deeply narrowed. "(name). sorry, uh, someone's waiting for you in the throne room."

she rose a brow, "oh, o-okay." she stood up, and waited varian to leave so she could dress up. but surprisingly, he stayed. she rose a brow again, "um.. could i?" varian's eyes widened. "r-right! sorry." he jumped up and faced the wall.

she snickered under the breath. "oookay then. if that's what you want." she quickly changed, hearing varian humming in the back. she fixed her hair and put some jewelry on.

"all set!" varian turned and smiled, "shall we?" he extended his hand out. to (name), something was off. why's he being so clingy and nice all of the sudden? especially from what happened last night.. but you know, maybe he's just on the path to redemption.

"we shall."