Chapter 7: Assessments

It felt like dozens of hours had gone by before our individual assessments. 

As glad as I was to hear how neither of the boys was in too much trouble, I couldn't help but blame myself for putting them in danger.

How could I let myself be so stupid? Forming any relationship before the Games is one of the worst things I could've done. I know there can only be one victor, and I know Cato is probably using me to further himself, but I can't get him out of my head. 

Our conversations, the way his hands mould perfectly around my figure, the feeling I get when he kisses me, that can't be nothing, right? I can't be the only one feeling something.

We have very little time together, making each moment more special, to me at least. 

I feel like I paced around my room at least a thousand times before finally deciding; one of us will be dead in the next two weeks, so why not spend our last days happy? 

I changed back into my training clothes just before Atlus came to redo my hair. He gives me words of affirmation before sending me down to be judged. 

Wade isn't ready when I get on the elevator, so I ride alone. I walk down the hallway to find Glimmer standing alone around a handful of other tributes. We must be the first of the alliance to be ready. 

"Hey," I greet her with a smile.

"Listen, I would love to get into all the small talk, but I'm dying. Tell me what happened earlier." She doesn't miss a beat. 

I laugh, "Cato punched Wade because he called me a whore is the jist of it." 

She playfully rolls her eyes, "I got that much! Why did he call you that?" She prods.

I sigh, knowing everyone will find out eventually. "We used to date back in Four, and I thought he took the break fine, but apparently not."

"I was right!" She exclaims, "I told Clove there was some history between you two, but she said I was crazy."

I laugh again at the pride oozing out of her.

"But still, why did Cato get that mad at him? I get like pushing him, but a whole attack seemed a bit much." She wonders.

"Yeah, um," I start, not knowing how to say this. "We've kinda been, like, hanging out." 

She looks at me, confused. "Yeah? all of us have been hanging out." I raise my eyebrows at her, waiting for her to catch on, and she does. "Oh, my god. You guys have been like hanging out-hanging out." 

I can practically feel the blush coming down my cheeks.

"But please," I ask, "Don't tell anyone. You can tell Clove you were right about your little debate, but could you keep the rest down? I don't want to worsen my odds, you know?"

She smiles at me, "Of course." 

Clove and Marvel walk over to us as she says that, and we share niceties.  

Wade and Cato still haven't arrived when Glimmer's name is called to start us off.

"You don't they're up to any monkey business, do you?" Marvel whispers in my ear, and it's hard to stifle my laugh

"You know what?" I joke, "They just might be" 

A line has started to form, so I bid my alliance good luck and take my place between the boy from Three and the redheaded girl from Five. 

It takes about ten minutes per session, and as soon as Clove is called, Cato appears from the hallway and joins the line, making eye contact with me before turning away. His gaze burned deep into my soul, and I didn't know how a simple look could send nerves fluttering all over my body.