Chapter 9: The Games Begin

I got more sleep last night than I thought I would. I did, however, wake up at 6 am and not fall back asleep. Never in my life have I been comfier in a bed. The following 2 hours were spent with me soaking in the last hours of comfort I'll feel, probably for the rest of my life. I'm in the shower for 30 minutes after that.

Once I'm dried and dressed, I leave the safety of my room to find Apple and Finnick in the living area. The two notice me immediately.

"Hey kid," Finnick says, "You're up early."

I smile, the happiness behind it missing. "Couldn't go back to sleep when I woke up."

The three of us sit in silence for a few moments until my District partner walks out of his room and joins us.

"You two should eat something," Apple suggests. "We can't have you go into the arena with an empty stomach. What kind of escort I would appear!" 

We mumble our agreements and head to the fully loaded table. Who in the world could eat all this? I settle on a pastry and some meat for protein; I wouldn't be able to stomach much more. 

I can hear voices faintly, and then the elevator opens to reveal Atlus and Sylvia, Wade's stylist. They greet us with hugs and then sweep us away to get changed. 

My outfit now consists of a black T-shirt and musty green army pants. I can tell this pains Atlus to see me in it. 

"I'll have your jacket for you right before the arena," He starts, "for now, let's do something with your hair."

Before I can object, my hair is pulled into a messy-looking but tight bun on the back of my head. He gently pulls a few strands around my face out to frame. Once he's satisfied, I'm whisked out into the main room to say my dreaded goodbyes.

I swear Apple is teary-eyed, whereas Finnick keeps his composure well. My mentor pulls me into a hug and whispers in my ear. 

"I know you can do this. Do whatever it takes. I'll see you soon, okay?" 

"Okay," I can barely whisper back. 

With one final hug from Apple, Wade and I are swept away from the protection of our floor.

_________________________

I'm looking around the hovercraft, finally sizing up my opponents, and I can't help but notice how malnourished some appear, even after living in the Capitol for a week. 

For some reason, I feel relieved when I meet familiar blue eyes. I should feel sad, knowing in a week, Cato and I won't have each other anymore. At least we have each other now. 

He smiles at me, and I think it's to try and cool my nerves, but little did he know his presence alone already did that. 

My arm is grabbed and inserted with a small tracking device. It stung, but I didn't want anyone to think I was weak, so I didn't flinch. 

We're not in the air long. Once we land, who knows where we're ushered to our rooms underground. To my delight, Atlus is already there waiting for me. 

I race over to him and hug him, fiending his comfort. He hugs me back but quickly gives me my jacket. It looks rain-resistant, which is good, and it's also black so I won't stand out from others. 

"You'll do great, you know," He tells me.

"I hope you're right," I reply.

He smiles and grabs my arm. "When have I ever been wrong about you?"