Chapter 9: The Marshal

Elaine clutched Mando's cape tightly in her hand. She hated the dark, and the street they walked down was nothing but that, save for a few dim street lamps and the red eyes that peered at them. Mando had found a contact who might know where another Mandalorian is, but it was sketchy.

Mando walked up to their destination, a shady bar with a Twi'lek at the door. Mando felt Elaine tug at his cape behind him, and the Child coo from his pram. He didn't like bringing them with him, but the whole planet was sketchy, and he wouldn't leave them alone.

"I'm here to see Gor Koresh." Mando said to the man.

The Twi'lek nodded and moved to let them enter. "Enjoy the fights."

Inside, there was a loud clamoring as the crowd cheered and booed the Gamorreans' fight. Mando moved his way through the crowd to a one-eyed man in the front row. "You know this is no place for children." He said.

"Wherever I go, they go." Said Mando.

Gor Koresh chuckled. "So I've heard."

Mando sat down next to him, but Elaine stayed standing. She hated this place, but Mando needed information. "I've been quested to bring them to their kind." Mando said. "If I can locate other Mandalorians, they can help guide me. I'm told you know where to find them."

Elaine felt her chest tighten. Why did she have to leave Mando? They already knew her planet was gone. But Mando thought that maybe some of her people escaped off world like she did.

Koresh kept his eyes on the fight. "It's uncouth to talk business immediately. Just enjoy the entertainment." He scoffed. "Bah! My Gamorrean's not doing well. Kill him! Finish him!"

Mando wasn't paying attention to the fight, but he listened when Koresh asked, "Do you gamble, Mando?"

"Not when it can be avoided." He answered.

Koresh chuckled again. "Well, I'll bet you the information you seek that this Gamorrean's going to die within the next minute and a half. And all you have to put up in exchange is your shiny Beskar armor."

Elaine saw Mando tense. "I'm prepared to pay you for the information. I'm not leaving my fate up to chance."

"Nor am I." Gor Koresh suddenly whipped out his blaster and killed one of the Gamorreans. Everyone in the bar ran away, save for a few men with their blasters aimed at the small clan. "Thank you for coming to me.* Koresh continued, his blaster raised. Mando had stood up and shoved Elaine behind him and closed the Child's pram. "Normally, I have to seek out remnants of you Mandalorians in your hidden hives to harvest your precious shiny shells. Beskar's value continues to rise. I've grown quite fond of it. Give it to me now or I will peel it off your corpse."

"Tell me where the Mandalorians are and I'll walk outta here without killing you." Mando said.

"I thought you weren't a gambler."

"I'm not." Mando's whistling birds rang out faster than anyone could react, killing Gor's enforcers. The remaining Gamorrean jumped down from the ring, intending to strike Mando. But the green alien was killed by a single shot from Mando's blaster.

When Mando turned around the check on the kids, he saw that Koresh had escaped outside. He followed him, finding him by a street lamp and tying him up with his grappling wire.

"All right, stop, stop!" Gor Koresh pleaded as he hung upside-down. "I'll tell you where he is. But you must promise that you won't kill me."

"I promise you will not die by my hand." Mando said. "Now, where is the Mandalorian you know of?"