Chapter 16: The Rescue

Mando kept his pace quick as he moved down the halls of Gideon's light cruiser. Cara, Bo-Katan, Koska, and Fennec were taking care of the Stormtroopers as Mando went to find the kids. His head felt as if it was vibrating, a side effect of being punched in the helmet by a Dark Trooper. But that wasn't enough to stop him. He found a door and opened it.

Elaine and Grogu said there, their hands bound in cuffs and Moff Gideon holding a black blade to their throats.

"Drop the blaster. Slowly." Gideon ordered. Mando did as he said, worrying if he didn't the Moff would slice the kids' throats. "Now kick it over to me." Mando obeyed that order too. "Very nice."

"Give me the kids." Mando said.

"The kids are just fine where they are." Gideon replied cooly. He waved the blade around their throats, mere inches away from taking their lives. "Mesmerizing, isn't it? Used to belong to Bo-Katan. Yes. I know you've been traveling with Bo-Katan. A friendly piece of advice, assume that I know everything. Like the fact that your wrist launcher has fired it's one and only salvo."

Mando kept his eyes on the kids. "Where is this going?"

"This is where it's going." Said Gideon. "I'm guessing that Bo-Katan and her boarding party have arrived at the bridge, seeking me or, more accurately, this." He waved the Darksaber again. "But I'm not there. And I image they've killed everyone on the bridge, being the murderous savages that they are. And now, they're beginning to panic. You see, she wants this." Mando tensed at how much Gideon moved the Darksaber. "Do you know why? Because it brings power. Whoever wields this sword..." He paused for affect. "Has the right to lay claim to the Mandalorian throne."

"You keep it. I just want the kids." Mando replied.

Gideon seemed to consider this for a moment. "Very well. I've already gotten what I want from them. Their blood." He deactivated the Darksaber. "All I wanted was to study their blood. These children are extremely gifted and have been blessed with rare properties that have the potential to bring back order to the galaxy."

Mando scoffed internally. The only reason Elaine's gift was so rare was because the Empire wiped out her kind. Gideon smirked. "I see your bond with them. Take them," Mando moved forward, but the Moff halted him. "But you will leave my ship immediately and we will go our separate ways."

It couldn't be that easy, right? Mando took a step forward, but Elaine stopped him. "He's lying!"

Gideon smirked. "I should've known better than to lie around an Empath." He activated the Darksaber and swung at Mando. Sparks flew as the beskar stopped the blade. Mando stumbled back into the hall with Gideon advancing.

Mando twisted and dodged each attack clumsily, his armor was not built for agility. But he remembered he had an actual weapon that could help him, the spear! He took it from his strap and blocked another blow, this time shoving Gideon back.

In a blind rage, the Moff swung wildly at him, slicing the walls and floor. Mando blocked each attack, countering with a jab at Gideon's leg. The Moff stumbled from the blow, giving Mando the opportunity to force him back.

Finally getting the hang of it, Mando twisted the spear around Gideon's arm, forcing him to the ground as the Darksaber clattered to the floor. Mando pressed the tip of his spear to Gideon's throat. "You're sparing my life?" He asked a bit smugly. "Well, this should be interesting."

Mando said nothing as he cuffed the Moff. He turned to the cell and found Elaine and Grogu, their eyes wide. Mando picked up the Darksaber and activated it. He held it to Gideon's back, daring him to move. He turned to the kids. "Come on, guys." He held out his hand. Elaine ran to him and hugged his side as Grogu waddled over to him. Mando felt himself relax, but only a little. He still had a war criminal to take care of. He picked up Grogu and Elaine gripped the fabric of his cape as they began their walk to the bridge.