Chapter 16

It’s been a very long time since Lisa felt like she belongs somewhere, with someone. It’s always been her, work and Baeghab. Now that there’s also Jennie something feels different. It wasn’t supposed to be like this.

She was made to be heartless and ruthless but look at her now. Laying in bed with the most beautiful creature by her side. She’s been staring at the brunette for hours now. Of course, she can’t sleep so it’s all she has left to do. Admire the things she cherishes before it’s gone.

Lisa knows it’s just the beginning and their journey won’t be easy. Hell, it’s going to be dangerous and full of regrets. She knows that as soon as other gangs find out about their relationship and technically, Lisa’s weakness, it’s going to start a war. Everybody will throw themselves just to get to something that can hurt the great leader of Baeghab.

“How can I protect you when I’m so helpless around you?” Lisa softly grazes Jennie’s cheek with the back of her hand. She leans down and places a kiss on top of Jennie’s head and carefully gets out of the bed. She knows that the brunette soon will wake up as well. It’s some odd mechanism Jennie has – as soon as Lisa leaves the bed her organism knows about it somehow.

Lisa smiles at the thought and grabs fresh clothes and a towel before heading to the bathroom. She takes a quick cold shower and gets ready for the day. They have an evening flight back to South Korea and Lisa has lots of business stuff to take care of not necessarily connected to her company.

The CEO left her complex with the sleeping beauty inside it and headed to her spare office a few buildings away. Lisa loves to visit Paris although she didn’t attend any shows like this time. It has always been just about work.

She needs to find out whether her goons caught Young-Bae and if Kai noticed that she’s trying to avoid him. She requested another driver for the time they spent in Paris. Lisa couldn’t risk anything bad happening to her girlfriend while she wasn’t looking.

She dials, to her, very familiar number and waits for the man to pick up. “Mino, how’s work going? Did you do everything I asked you?” Lisa goes straight to the point without beating around the bush. She’s strict and firm when it comes to her people but also, they are her family, so she respects them and they respect her.

“Boss, there have been some issues with finding information about Kim Jongin and Yang’s connections, but we have Young-Bae here. He’s waiting for you to come back, and he already threatened us like hundred times and said that…” Mino stops and clears his throat awkwardly. “-that…” He stutters and Lisa sighs heavily.

“Just say it. I’m not scared of them and especially Young-Bae.”

Mino quickly collects himself and gathers courage to utter the rest of the sentence. “He said that this bitch of yours will be dead before you could get back on the plane. Then, he started laughing like a maniac and- I think he was also mentioning some Kai guy?”

Lisa’s already clenching her phone furiously surprised that it didn’t crash yet. She grits her teeth and exhales loudly through her nose. “Mino, make sure he suffers a bit until I get there. Now, stay under the line and send extra men to Seoul’s airport for our arrival this evening. Also, spread some news about it in social media. The more people there will be the lower the chance Jinhongsaeng will try something. Inform me about any changes via text.”

The blonde drops the call and covers her face with hands thinking intensely how to keep her lover safe and oblivious. The last thing she needs right now is Jennie panicking or being scared. She doesn’t want to see her fragile baby vulnerable or hurt.

There’s an incoming knock on the door and it snaps Lisa out of her thoughts. She looks up and sighs once again. “Come in.” She calls and the door slowly open revealing no one other than Kim Jongin. The man walks inside and stands in front of Lisa’s desk looking down at his feet.

Only at the sight of his ugly face Lisa’s blood boils but she has to stay calm at least until she’s certain Jennie’s safe. “What?” She asks sounding a bit harshly and Kai looks up at her with confusion written all over his face.

“I don’t know what happened, but I feel like you’re trying to avoid me.” He plays with his hands that are clasped together behind his back. “You switched me as your driver for somebody else and now you won’t even talk to me.” Kai explains his concerns and it takes Lisa a second.

She takes a small inhale before speaking. “I don’t want you to be exposed for now, Jongin. You’re my friend and now isn’t the best time for you to be in public together with me. You must understand my situation as well. I didn’t mean anything offensive.”

‘Oh, just wait you jerk until the coast’s clear and I’m going to make you beg me to end your life.’ Lisa smiles but her insides are twisting at the fake smile Kai sends her in response.

“Thank you for clarifying everything, boss. I’ll head back to the hotel to pack my stuff and get ready to go home later.” He bows to Lisa then turns around and leaves the office.

Lisa waits a good minute while staring blankly at the closed door. She then suddenly snaps and slams her desk with her hand before throwing everything from her desk angrily. She hates being so helpless and yet she has no idea what possibly Kai and Jinhongsaeng could be planning. It’s killing her from inside that some bastards could lay a finger on her Jennie possibly hurting the woman.

When her mind drives off to her girlfriend, she suddenly realizes that she left Jennie all alone in her complex without extra guards to protect her while she’s not there. Lisa gets up and rushes out of her office. On her phone she types a quick message to Jennie to find out if the woman had already woken up. There’s no response until Lisa runs back to her apartment and climbs stairs instead of waiting hours for the elevator to arrive.

She’s panting heavily when she reaches the door. Swiping her card on the pad next to the door it clicks and buzzes before finally letting her inside. Lisa’s mind’s full of different scenarios she could find once she reaches the last place, she’s seen her girlfriend.

The blonde steps inside the bedroom only to find an empty bed with messy sheets and clothes scattered around the room. She covers her mouth in disbelief still panting loudly as her heart drops in her chest.

Jennie’s gone.

She let them take her away.

To be certain, Lisa searches the rest of the apartment calling for Jennie as if it could make any difference. Seriously, Lisa has never been on the verge of tears in a crisis moment, but this feels so different. She failed the only person she swore to protect and love above anything else.

She grabs her phone and calls the chief of her security. Lisa’s hands are shaking same as her voice, she’s trying to take deep breaths just so she wouldn’t give a sign of weakness to her workers. “Yes, ma’am?” A low voice answers her call.

“Find me Jennie Kim’s last location. Send every man you have to search for her. You know how she looks like. Do everything in your power or more. Find her, now!” Lisa screams through the phone as she makes her way to the closet and opens a small safe at the back of it.

“Ne, boss!” The security chief calls and hangs up knowing that’s now his priority to find Miss Kim.

Lisa gets out a handgun from the safe and checks its magazine. She finds Jennie’s phone laying on the bedside table next to the bed with dead battery. The blonde calls Mino again. “Make Young-Bae talk. Find out where is Jennie Kim and what did they do to her, understand?”

She torn between breaking into tears and bursting out in anger as she’d burn the whole world if it meant that she gets to have Jennie back by her side. Lisa hangs up without letting her most trusted man reply. She sits down on the bed and hangs her between her legs with the gun in her head.

“I’m so sorry, N-Nini.” The blonde stutters and her sight begins to blur as tears well up in her eyes. She sniffles thinking how she must have disappointed her girlfriend and how bad of a person she is. She promised to protect her, she swore that nothing bad will happen and now. Turns out she lied straight into her lover’s eyes.

The sound of door opening makes Lisa snap out of her break down and wipe her tears away. She quickly gets up and readies her gun before hiding behind the corner in between kitchen and living room. The blonde takes deep breaths trying to calm down.

She hears light footsteps and loud rustling. Lisa closes her eyes for a second when the person stops in the kitchen and the rustling continues. “1… 2… 3…” Lisa counts in her head and peaks from behind the corner aiming the gun at the intruder. She immediately melts at the sight in front of her.

It feels as if her soul left her body and limbs become frozen. She’s now looking at her girlfriend unpacking groceries on the kitchen counter with her headphone plugged in and moving to the rhythm.

Every worry leaves Lisa’s body with the exhale she releases. Jennie’s here, right in front of her. Nothing bad happened to her, she’s alright. These are the things running in Lisa’s mind as she watches Jennie roam around her kitchen.

She tucks the gun into her pants behind her back and slowly approaches the brunette. Lisa wraps her arms around Jennie’s waist from behind and the woman jumps slightly startled. “Oh my- Lili! You scared me!” Jennie places her hands on top of Lisa’s leaning back into the blonde’s comforting body.

“I’m sorry, Nini.” Lisa whispers and rests her chin on Jennie’s shoulder. She sniffles again feeling how all the fear and other negative emotions just evaporate from her body making her teary again.

Jennie tries to turn around with concern displayed on her face, but Lisa stops her. “No, don’t… just stay.” The blonde buries her face in Jennie’s neck and starts weeping quietly while the hold on her girlfriend tightens refusing to let her go. Jennie decides to stay silent, but she’s still confused with Lisa’s behaviour.

She waits until Lisa calms down a bit and caresses her hands softly. “Did something happen? Why are you crying Lili?” The brunette asks gently and finally turns in Lisa’s arms to face her girlfriend who’s now wiping away her tears.

Lisa’s eyes are all red and puffy and Jennie truly hates the sight in front of her. She walks her hand through Lisa’s hair then cups both of her cheeks. “Please, tell me what’s going on…”

“Nothing, I’m just happy.” Lisa smiles through her sobs and lets Jennie wipe the tears away. “I love you so much, Nini.” The blonde hugs her girlfriend even tighter nuzzling her face into Jennie’s shoulder.

“Aw, I love you too. Gosh, you’re making me cry too.” Jennie pouts and it makes Lisa pulls back quickly.

“No, don’t cry please. Damn, I’m sorry, please don’t cry.” Lisa starts leaving small kisses all over Jennie’s face until the smaller woman starts giggling. “That’s better.” She takes a deep breath and looks at the things Jennie brought. “You went shopping?”

“Ah, yeah… the fridge was empty and since you went for a run, I thought I’d make breakfast for the both of us.” Jennie says and looks at Lisa’s attire that doesn’t look like a jogging outfit at all.

“You know I don’t eat breakfasts.”

“Not anymore. I told you I’ll take care of you, Lili.” The brunette smiles lightly and pecks Lisa’s lips before getting the food ready. Lisa proudly watches her precious woman prepare all the food for them while considering herself the happiest person on Earth.

______
It's shorter but very much needed. 🤗