Chapter 2: The Injury

Yako, as usual, was walking through the forest when he heard something he has never heard before.. a loud bang, the curious fox sneaked over to where the sound came from. He was shocked as he saw an animal he hadn't seen before. It had no fur and was walking in its hind legs. Yako curiously got closer sniffing the air trying to recognize the weird creature infront of him; without noticing that he accidentally made himself noticeable. The weird creature quickly turned around and saw Yako staring at it, the thing crouched down and extended its front paw towards Yako, which he curiously sniffed; it smelled weird, with many different new smells, but one of them he knew, the unconfusable smell of blood. For Yako the smell of blood meant food, and so he thought that the creature was food, therefore he bit the weird creature. The creature flinched in pain then pointed a weird branch made of rock towards Yako. Yako then heard the loud bang again and a sudden strong pain in his stomach. Yako didn't knew what it was so he ran away scared. But after a while of running his injury was so painful that he couldn't move anymore, but he knew he couldn't stay there so he limped his way to the hallow tree.
When he managed to get there he drop on the floor infront of the tree. His breathing was hard yet soft. He painfully whined; Konko heard his cries and quickly went over to him worriedly as he saw that Yako was bleeding and weak. Konko hurried to the inside of the tree as he prepared it for Yako to lay inside. Once it was ready he carefully placed Yako inside; he then grabbed a few leaves and covered his injury trying to stop the bleeding, but it was useless.
"Konko..." said Yako weakly. "I don't think I'll make it..." he said painfully to Konko.
"Don't say that!" Konko said sorrowfully "you will be fine! I'll keep you alive! I-I-I will try anything that's on my power so that you don't-"
Yako interrupted him
"Konko... there's nothing you can do..." Konko shook his head in disbelief.
"No- no! There has to be something!" Tears started streaming down his fluffy cheeks
"Konko- can I tell you a secret?" Konko nodded sadly. "I love you" he said softly with a small smile. Konko's face light up slightly with a blush he then looked at his dying friend.
"I love you too" he said tearfully.
Yako laid down his head weakly and said,
"Will you be my mate for the rest of eternity?"
His breathing became softer and so did his voice.
With a bright yet soft smile he nodded. Yako smiled weakly.
"Goodbye, Konko, see you on the other side of paradise" he said before he gave his last breath.
"Goodbye, my love..." Konko whispered.