Chapter 1: The Accident that Changed Everything

[Set during the time of the college ghost portal incident]

"I'm telling you, Jack, it won't work!" the young Vlad Masters said in annoyance, staring at the Ghost portal.

"Bogus, V-Man; It totally will!" the young Jack Fenton stated calmly. "This Proto-Portal is guaranteed to bust open the wall into the ghost dimension!"

As he and the young Maddie Fenton went to get the controls and blueprints, Vlad stared into the portal, still skeptical.

As Maddie was looking at the papers, she suddenly noticed something. "Jack, these calculations aren't right..." she began.

"Banzai!" Jack yelled suddenly, activating the portal via the remote.

The portal started up and swirls green in its center, and Vlad, standing nearby, saw it, his eyes widening. Had he been wrong about the portal after all?

Suddenly, the portal began to make a funny rattling noise, and it began to shake, surprising Vlad further. The green swirl inside it began to glow much brighter.

Vlad's jaw hung. "Uh, Jack?" he called anxiously, "Is it supposed to do that?"

"I don't know!" Jack exclaimed. "I never saw anything like that before in our studies of ghosts!"

The green swirl was now starting to glow even more brighter, and the portal was now shaking violently.

Vlad rejoined Jack and Maddie. all 3 of them watched in horror, as the ghost portal was now cracking, as bright green glows formed in the cracks.

"I'm not a safety expert or anything," Jack stated, "but I think that portal's gonna blow."

"Gee, ya think?" Vlad said sarcastically.

And, of course, Jack was more or less right. The portal exploded.

At that moment, a college teacher, having heard the noises, burst into the lab, and then, the whole room was lit up in an explosion of ectoplasmic energy, which struck all 4 people in the room; Jack, Maddie, and Vlad included.

Then, it fizzled out, leaving the smoking remains of the ghost portal.