vingt-cinq; wolf in shining armour

LA BÊTE DU Gévaudan was the name given to the animal/s who terrorised the former French province of Gévaudan in the Margeride Mountains, during the year 1764

The tiny aglow letters encapsulated within the fractured screen of his phone, struggled to make pace with Jonah's rapid scrolling, freezing in frame every so often. He decided that perhaps it was fate's method of sending him a hint, taking the chance to study the grainy drawing below the article. Once upon a time, Jonah may have thought the artist had an imagination of the ideal proportions between visionary and definitive. However, he no longer enveloped that mindset. Applying what he now knows about the franchise, he could be looking at the real thing.

Survivors of the attacks have given a rather metaphysical description of the creature, as both an upright walking and quadrupedal wolf-man. Many of the anatomical features vary depending on the source, but the majority depict the creature with black or red fur, yellow eyes and without a tail. Conspiracists rumour the animal of being a loup-garou.

The identity of the beast has been speculated for many years, but generally, the most accepted theory nowadays is that a pack of wolves had lost their fear of people. Southern-France has shared a long history as a stronghold for the canine, until overhunting caused their populations to dwindle, leading to their extinction in the 1930s.

As how a river would narrow into a stream when an obstacle obstructed its path, eventually, time would successfully wear down the dam blocking its path, and the fast-paced current would resume. Ignoring what he didn't want to see wouldn't make it disappear. Whether Jonah liked it or not, he, and every other resident of Bêtemont, were co-existing with werewolves.

Although the number of victims is indefinite, almost exclusively women and children, the total is rumoured to be anywhere from a few dozen to over a hundred. Better yet, the records regarding how these victims were found are a lot more detailed. From torn-out throats and bodies missing their heads, many of these victims were thought to be half-eaten. At one point, it was believed the animal had started to hoard its kills, as on the August of 1764, a farmer's flooded field revealed what had been described as an ocean of disembowelled limbs—

The internet is a place full of misinformation and lies. To begin with, Jonah had been reluctant to consult any search engine about the rabbit hole he had gone and stumbled into, but as it happened to be, La Bête du Gévaudan is a widely covered French legend. Being that history has a habit of repeating itself, there's no harm in reading up on the storyline beforehand— or perhaps, in his case, while the film is playing. Jonah had strong reason to believe the film had already begun.

The Dartmoores had more opportunities than he would like to count in putting his name on a headstone. If they wanted him dead, Jonah was sure the family would have schemed some sort of fatality for him a while ago.

That, and his hunger for knowledge was ravishing the remains of his initial fear.

The killing had gotten so abundant that word had travelled all the way to Versailles, which elicited King Louis XV to dispense royal hunters and a bounty to anyone who would destroy the beast. These hunts continued from 1765 to 1767, but many of the locals had already praised the Anglo-French huntsman, Victor Dartmoore, as the original slayer of the creature.