Chapter 3

YELENA'S P.O.V.

As a Black Widow, Yelena hadn't been able to express her fears freely, especially not when she was under General Dreykov's mind control. They were taught to control that fear or to suffer it in silence since admitting their fear was an equal to weakness. Or at least that's what those ruthless instructors insisted. Kate Bishop would tell her in about a second that that was "utter bullshit." She actually did tell her after the zoo trip, "If you're not nervous, you don't care." Kate did have a point, like how nervous they both were at the zoo because they didn't want to lose the child there. Still, it wasn't like Yelena could just get rid of that thought instantly. She would need time to decompress.

As she, Kate, and little Lena walked into the grocery store, Yelena could feel her heart beating faster. She was terrified. They were in a place she didn't know, so she wasn't sure if there was anything that could mean a danger for her niece. Especially given how many people were coming and going, there could have been eyes everywhere. She was silently frightened just by the security cameras, despite knowing why they were there. "It's just for the good guys... deep breath..."

The first thing she did as they walked inside was locate the exits just in case they needed to bolt from there. After that, Yelena studied everyone around them, looking for something that could be suspicious—maybe a familiar face from a Widow...

"Okay, where do we start, Kate Bishop?" Yelena asked, trying to control her breathing. There were too many aisles, including the kind that sold clothing or toys, pet supply, and other things that would normally be seen in a Walmart.

"Why don't we see what's on the list?" Kate suggested, waiting for her friend to pull it out from her jeans pocket before adding, "Now we search for the first thing, like in a scavenger hunt. I laid the list out so the aisle numbers are on there, just to make it easier."

Little Lena was excited by everything in the store as the minutes stretched on. The child had even made both young women stop by the toy aisle (which Kate didn't seem surprised by at all). She showed them all the things she liked, which were mostly figurines and toys of the Avengers who she was so proud of. Ten minutes later, the five-year-old had put at least six toys inside the cart since Yelena was having a really hard time saying no to the little girl. However, she was aware that, even if she wanted to, she shouldn't spoil her niece by buying her everything the child wanted. Besides, she was still learning just what Kate's salary was and how much she could even afford as well. She'd only just gotten into Bishop Security for real since coming back to New York, and Yelena didn't want to be a pushover. So it was tricky, still new to all this parenting stuff.

"But I like them all." Lena complained with a pout, getting her aunt to sigh while crouching to her height.

"I know, but we can't buy all of them." She gently tucked her niece's blonde hair behind her ears. "You can pick one, okay?"

The little girl frowned but agreed to it. She ended up deciding on an Avengers' figurines set, carrying it in her arms as they walked through the store.

"Smart choice, she gets a package deal that way." said Kate as she pushed the cart along.

The trio found themselves in the cereal aisle, trying to pick something the little one would like for a quick breakfast. Yelena was overwhelmed by the different kinds and brands, and she knew Lena would like anything sugary. But there were just too many options. She just couldn't choose, not knowing what Clint and Laura Barton had gotten Lena used to. So the kid started to decide for her, picking box after box of cereal and putting them inside the cart—much to Kate's amusement.

"Well, she knows what she likes." the archer chuckled. "Besides, a lot of it IS what she had for breakfast with the Barton kids. At least she can spot things."