Chapter 15

KATE'S P.O.V.

Kate sat in the copilot seat. She and Yelena were both wearing headsets to hear each other over the rippling sound of those loud propellers. They both had special goggles that offered night vision, but they weren't the same as military helmet NVGs. They didn't need another source of light like the moon in order to work. There were lights built into the frames, specifically where they could see in the dark but not have the lights shining in their eyes.

"I haven't needed these goggles since we first met." said Yelena.

"You mean the big fight where you focused on Clint and threw me off the roof?"

Yelena gave Kate the 'how dare you' look as if she were actually offended. "I put you on a wire since you were in my way." Yelena said defensively. "But yes. It was dark, so I needed these so I could see everything. Besides, I still haven't forgotten your 'sonic pulse' arrow that nearly blew my eardrums out."

Kate grinned subtly, remembering that.

-/-

"How much further?"

Kate checked the iPad like any GPS, watching for the Red Room convoy. They were hoping to find it before Lena could be loaded back onto it, but...

"They're still moving. The trucks are speeding up, we gotta gas it."

"What do you think I am doing, Kate Bishop?" Yelena said, struggling with the controls and frustrated that she couldn't go much faster. "And you didn't answer my question!"

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. The iPad showed Kate that they were close, the chopper practically on top of them. Her keen eyes stared out the windshield and the right side window, watching.

"There!"

Kate pointed out the windshield, looking down past the treetops to a back road with no houses in sight. There were a few large black trucks that looked like tractor trailers. They were moving along rather quickly, but not a lot faster than a normal one would; probably to avoid suspicion. With that being said, it was no match for how fast this flying bus was. Especially not the deuce-and-a-half up front.

Yelena saw the convoy and adjusted her steering, placing the helicopter to the right side of the convoy and gaining on them.

"THE E-M-P!" said Yelena, watching through her left window. "Use one of those EMP arrows you showed me!"

Kate nodded, unbuckled herself from the copilot seat and grabbed her gear.

"Where?" she asked. She double-checked her knee pads, making sure they were secure. Kate had planned to kneel down so she'd be as small a target as possible from the air.

"Lead truck!" Yelena answered.

Kate tightened her goggles, stringing her bow and preparing to shoot through the sliding left-side door. At the same time, Yelena looked out the window to make sure she stayed parallel to the convoy.

"That lead truck has the main navigation and communication systems leading to their next stop, and the others are linked to it. It needs to be disrupted before they change their objective, before they change their route to get away from us. Then, they will have no choice but to fight back. And don't worry, they never carry girls in that vehicle. Only some supplies like weapons and, MAYBE, a few widows keeping security. BUT I'LL KILL YOU IF YOU CRASH ONE OF THE FREIGHT TRUCKS! Lena is down there somewhere and we don't know which one she's in!"

"Gotcha! And don't worry about the others, the EMP detonator arrows will just turn them off. You know, just in case she IS up front. The name Romanoff does have a reputation, after all. Odds are it makes her a target for these douchebags." With both quivers, plus a harness strapped on to keep her inside the chopper, Kate peered out the door to check if she was in a good position. "Alright, get me closer! Ahead of the lead so I can hit it directly!"