Chapter two - The binding

Diana

I felt vibrations under me as I slowly regained consciousness, the sound of horses galloping reached my ears finally jolting me awake as I sat down on the hard floor I had been laying on.

Galloping horses, screaming, the attack, my pack destroyed, my parents murdered before my very eyes. Everything came back to me in a painful flash, my throat immediately tightened, my eyes watered and I looked around trying to understand where I was.

Darkness surrounded me, so I had to wait for my eyes to get used to the low light, eventually I was able to see the shadows of several people sitting down on the floor, their backs on the walls of the small rectangular box we were in. I realized my hands were tied by thick ropes, as were my feet, as soon as I saw that the other people around me were under the same constrictions.

-What's going on? – I asked, confusion and fear lacing my words.

The two people by my side became rigid and the person in front of me shook their head in a warning.

-Quiet! – a deep voice reverberated on the walls of our shaky box and I felt a slap across my face.

Immediately I noticed the presence of two big soldiers in both ends of the rectangular box, as if guarding the people sitting down on the floor.

I swallowed a whimper down my throat, not wanting to make any more noise, my face stung and my eyes, that were already filled with tears over the recent memories, overflowed.

I took a few deep breaths trying to keep calm so I could better understand the situation. The movement of the box, added to the galloping horses and the last words I heard before I blacked out made me realize I was on the wagon the vampire soldier had mentioned before she knocked me out.

As my eyes got better used to the darkness I could see more than mere shadows, I was able to distinguish the outline of the faces of those tied down around me. They were my pack members, my friends and neighbors.

Squinting my eyes I recognized the faces of Anna, Bryan and Nate, the kids that had almost ran me over that same morning. My stomach churned, they weren't a day over 7 years old. Why the hell were the vampires taking pups from their homes and destroying their packs? I did not allow my brain to humor a guess for the possibilities were too revolting.

My heart was beating fast, adrenaline rushing as my eyes stopped on the person seated in front of me, some light from the stars and moon entered through the back of the wagon, only covered by two curtains, and I saw the glint of red from her hair. My best friend was tied down right in front of me, her green eyes showing so much hurt and fear.

I could also see a bruise on her lips and her left eye, by instinct I tried to get up and go to her, but the guard on the front of the wagon pushed me aggressively against the wall and got right on my face.

-Down, mutt! One more movement or word from you and I'll break your bones, got it?

I shook my head yes holding another whimper on my throat, the abrupt movements radiating pain all over my body and I was suddenly reminded of all the injuries I had suffered that day. I could feel the wounds on my right arm begin to bleed again, as the ones on my torso from when the soldier tied me with the barbed silver whip.

The guard in front of me sniffed the air and his red eyes glinted hungrily.

-Don't – a female voice came from the end of the wagon, the other guard – You know we are not allowed to taste the Prey, you'll lose your fingers if you do.