CHAPTER -36

*BANG*

" BHAI !!!!!!!!"

Veer yells as he hugs Mahir tightly, closing his eyes tightly.

Another bang echoes, followed by a thud.

He feels Mahir's tight embrace. Bela and the others come running to them.

Veer looks behind and sees Sanket dead on the floor, a police officer having shot him before Sanket could harm Mahir.

Mahir force fully broke the hug and looked at Veer in anger and worried.

Mahir: Why did you come running to me? Are you out of your mind or something ?

Veer doesn't say anything, just looks at Mahir as tears stream down his face. He hugs Mahir tightly, surprising him.

Veer : (whispers)  Bhai you are safe.

Mahir sighs and hugs him back.

The police inspector scolds the other officer who killed Suresh.

Inspector: Suresh, you shouldn't have killed him! We needed to get information from him.

Suresh: I am sorry, sir.

Inspector:  ( frustrated) Just take the body away.

Suresh : Yes sir.

The inspector approached Mahir.

Inspector: Sir, we messed up. Sanket is dead. We could have gotten information from him.

Mahir: I understand, Inspector. But is there any other way we can proceed?

Inspector: We will have to find another lead, but it might cause a delay.

Mahir sighed.

Inspector: We need to investigate Sanket's family and inform them about his death.

Puja: He has no one.

Manish: Is he an orphan then ?

Puja: No, he has a father, but he is missing.

Raghav: Who is his father?

Puja: Puneet Sharma.

Mahir: (shocked) Is he the owner of 'Red Bird Press'?

Puja: Yes.

Mahir: But he's been abroad, right?

Puja: (sighs) Yes, but once Sanket went to meet him, his father went missing. Sanket was worried and depressed. He became short-tempered and often got angry, especially at Veer. (looks at Veer) It was surprising.

Inspector: Thank you for the information. We will investigate further and keep you informed if we find anything.

Mahir: Please keep us updated.

Inspector: Of course. We'll be in touch. Take care.

He nods at Mahir and the others before leaving.

After a long ordeal, Veer finally got discharged from the hospital and was now in his room, laying on the bed with his head resting on Mahir's lap. Mahir gently caressed Veer's head with love and care.

Veer: Bhai ?

Mahir : Hmm

Veer : Why didn't you tell me that Sanket was there and the police were there for him?

Mahir stops caressing Veer's hair but remains silent.

Veer: (sitting up) Please, Bhai, Tell me !

Mahir hesitates, trying to avoid the conversations.

Mahir: Okay, I'll tell you ...

He tell him everything how Shanket try to kill him and how Puja got to know and how he admitted, everything.

Veer got shocked hearing all this.

Veer: Why would he want to kill me, and who asked him to do it? He even tried to kill you, Bhai !

Mahir: That's what I am thinking Veer. Also his father is the owner of Red Bird Press, the same press where our mother's book was supposed to be published before it got destroyed in the fire. It seems like everything is connected from the past.

Veer: Maybe it's also connected to Ritik Bhai 's
disappearance.

Mahir: That's possible.

Veer: Why does all of this have to happen to us? I am tired of it.

Mahir: (hugs Veer) I am tired too, but we need to solve this mess. I promise to bring back Ritik Bhai and find out who is behind all of this.

Veer nods in agreement, finding comfort in Mahir's hug.

As evening descended. Ritik senses the fading light and peered out from behind the rock to ensure the road was clear.

"Shivanya," He whispered, "It looks like there's no one around. We should leave while we have the chance."

Shivanya nods, and they cautiously peek out from behind the rock to make sure the coast is clear and after that they start to move.

Suddenly Shivanya holds  Ritik's hand, causing him to look at her with confusion. "I heard something," she whispered.

Ritik's senses heightened as he also heard a muffled sound coming from the direction of the buses. He started to walk towards the source of the noise, but Shivanya stopped him, her grip tightening on his hand.

Ritik reassured her, "Don't worry, I'll be fine," as he picked up a nearby stick and cautiously made his way towards the buses.

Suddenly a wolf leaped out from it, knocking him to the ground. With a startled cry as it is now on the top of Ritik.

" RITIK !!!!"

Shivanya's scream pierced the air, a sound of horror .

Suddenly  a thick wooden stick came hurtling through the air, striking the wolf and sending it flying to the other side.

Shivanya rushed to Ritik's side, helping him stand as they both looked in the direction the stick came from.

They saw a figure emerging from the shadows, the person who had helped them.

"The wolf is dizzy," the person hurriedly exclaimed, "we have to run from here, now!"

Nodding in agreement, Shivanya and Ritik followed the mysterious person, running to safety.

Finally reaching a safe place, they collapsed on the ground, breathing heavily from the exertion.

Person : Are you guys alright?

Shivanya and Ritik nodded.

Shivanya : Thanks to you.

The person nodded.

Ritik looked at the person.

Ritik : You are  Puneet Sharma, right?

The man smiled warmly .

Person : Yes, Ritik, it's me.

Ritik was taken aback, surprised at how the man knew his name.

Puneet : I know you have many doubts, Ritik, and I am here to clear them.

____

In police station :

Inspector: I can't believe you acted on impulse and shot Sanket, Suresh! You should have waited for my orders!

Suresh hangs his head in shame, unable to meet the inspector's gaze.

Inspector: You're relieved from duty for the night. Go do the night patrol.

Suresh : Yes sir

He said silently and leaves the scene.

Suresh stops the jeep near a small tea shop and buys a tea. As he sits down, a person nearby chuckles and speaks.

Person: You did a great job by killing Sanket.

Suresh smirked in response.

To be continued......