Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

"Look what they're doing, Brent," Reeve giggled.

Ruben had to turn his gaze away. So juvenile. He glanced at Bryan who sat in his security room while the two younger trucks stared into the dinkemort enclosures.

"Why such a big patrol this evening?" wondered Bryan. "We really only need one or two."

"I was taking them out of Robert's paint," Ruben explained. "They were being rowdy back at the main facility, and Cassie started complaining to Robert, so-"

"In other words, Cassie intimidates you. She probably told you to take them. This has nothing to do with Robert, does it?"

Ruben felt his springs droop. Robert did say to bring them after Cassie complained. "Come on, guys, let's get to Zone 2."

"Ruben, can you imagine if Bryan was your dad?" Reeve asked a bit too loudly as he started following Ruben out.

Ignore it.

"Bet he is," Brenton added with a snicker.

"You guys should seriously grow up, and start minding your own business. It's a shame Robert lets you get away with so much."

"He does not," huffed Reeve. "Both of us spent months slaving away for stupid things. Now, we aren't even doing anything wrong, and you want to see us punished again."

"Ruben likes taking advantage of his higher position," sneered Brenton.

Yeah, right. And these guys want the fleet to like them more, yet they act like this. It's no wonder.

"Is it true you had a kid with Casey?" Brenton asked as they headed outside.

The dirt beneath their wheels was dry and hot. Ruben tried to focus on that instead of the bold nature of Brenton's question, which was almost enough to make him knock the truck between the headlights. It might just be curiosity, though. I need to give him a chance. "I did," he muttered.

"You shouldn't ask him about that," hissed Reeve. "Their baby died, you know."

Ruben flinched. Brenton muttered something about not having really known, but Ruben's mind wasn't on their conversation anymore. Instead, he faced the reality that he still had never really grieved for their lost son, that it never could have affected him as much as it did Casey. I never wanted to lose him, and it hurt, and I felt horrible. But I never even knew him. Most of his hurt then stemmed from Casey being hurt. Alas, I wasn't meant to be a dad, and I still don't want to find mine. Things are fine just how they are.

At Zone 2, Ruben reminded himself to check everything closely, since Michael was spending the evening at the main facility instead. I'd need a break from isolation, too, but I guess he always has Cassie. I'd rather be alone than around Cassie all day, though.

"Brent, remember the time you sneaked in here and freed-" Reeve began.

"Shut it," Brenton hissed, pushing Reeve aside with a wheel. "Remember the time you tried to sleep with Robert's daughter who's like, old enough to be your mom-"

"Enough," growled Ruben, pushing past both of them to head inside. "You two are so immature."

"At least we have dads," Brenton snorted, following closely. "He pushed me, Reeve. Isn't there a rule against that or something?"

"Does Robert pay you extra just to deal with us?" Reeve teased.

"I wish," snorted Ruben. "Now, everything looks fine here. The ixotoles are good." He glanced to see them crouching at the corners of their enclosures, shy but their eyes were inquisitive.