Chapter 1 - Even the Wolves' Past Brings Pain

Nobel wolf and his 10-person hunting party were returning from a routine hunt, just like they did every day. Upon closer inspection, the makeshift claws they had grabbed for hunting were evident. They lacked durable armor to protect themselves from the wild animals in the forest. Typically, they used the hides and bones of the animals they hunted for their clothing and gear. Strategically, it wasn't all that bad. Traveling with light gear for the hunt made them more agile during the chase. Under Nobel wolf's command and organized in shifts, two teams of 10 people each took turns conducting day-long hunting expeditions outside the village, into the dark, dangerous, and wild forest. When they returned, they brought fresh meat, hides, furs, bones, and fruits with them. The village square wasn't very large. It was small enough for all 300 residents to reach each other with a short walk. It was surrounded on three sides by impassable magical mountains, with one side facing the dark forest they hunted in. They had never measured the size of the forest. They had only been able to explore as far as they could go from sunrise to sunset. They knew they stood no chance against the wild animals that even injured their most skilled hunters during the day, let alone in the darkness of night. The river that flowed through the village turned into waterfalls in places. They divided the meat of wild animals like bears and tigers, along with the gem-like fruits they gathered from the forest trees, around the bridge over the river in the square and distributed them to the other wolves living in the village. Unfortunately, not all the wolves in the colony were fit for hunting. The wolf transformation disease had left many people weakened here. Some, though strong, had been severely injured during hunts and could no longer hunt. The disease had left most of the colony weakened and bedridden, but for some, after painful processes, it had made them stronger, more agile, and more perceptive. Among the few individuals struck by the disease in a positive way, especially those whose heads and necks were covered with fur and possessed long, sharp, wild-looking teeth, they had acquired physical and mental strengths that normal humans in the regular world couldn't attain.

The hunter, who had joined the second hunting party and was currently resting, rushed over to Nobel Wolf as soon as he returned from the hunt, bringing news that they needed to go speak with the sages.

"I can't go to them right away. We need to quickly gather the game and supplies on the bridge and distribute them. Besides, I need to clean up and rest," Nobel Wolf replied.

The messenger remarked, "The sages seemed a bit tense, Commander. I don't think they want to discuss the day's hunting or the village's general affairs."

Nobel Wolf listened to the messenger, but he was so tired, exhausted, and dirty that he simply said, "Alright. I'll stop by after I've freshened up a bit," and continued walking towards the square, following behind his hunting companions. Meanwhile, the messenger headed off to inform the sages of the situation.

When they reached the bridge, they distributed the spoils of the hunt. Nobel Wolf informed the werewolves in the party that the sages had summoned him and he needed to go. Assuming it was just routine assignments, the hunting party bid farewell to each other and to Nobel Wolf. Then, each shouldered their loads and made their way to their respective shelters, distributing their shares to the other werewolves along the way.

Nobel Wolf cleaned off the blood, mud, dust, and splinters of grass and trees that had stuck to him during the hunt with the water from the stream running through the village's center before resting. In this village, the tents were made by combining the fur, leather, and bones left over from the hunted animals. Despite appearing weak and useless, they truly protected against the night's chill. Still, he couldn't forget the cold they endured on the nights before they set up their tents when they first arrived in these lands. Although he stretched out to his bed to rest, he had dozed off lightly and had begun to see the nightmares he had experienced in the last few days again.