Chapter 2 - Sacrifice Turns Everything Upside Down

Sage Myonghorang looked at Noble Wolf with a sharp gaze, attributing some of the pain he relived with the memories of Myonghorang to Noble Wolf's delayed arrival. Noble Wolf had anticipated the reprimand he would receive, but it was evident from Sage Myonghorang's demeanor that the situation was different. "Why didn't you come when I first called?" he asked Noble Wolf, her voice slightly raised.

-We can no longer sustain the meat and provisions we brought. They spoil too quickly. Although the village population is not very large, our numbers have diminished due to illness and injuries during hunts. We need to distribute what we've brought before it spoils. But you're aware of this situation too, Sage Myonghorang. If I know you, and I don't intend to be disrespectful, your agitation is probably related to the news you're about to give me.

-Yes, indeed, Noble Wolf. The things I'm going to tell you are related to the worsening of this curse. We've figured out why the animals are more ferocious, provisions are less durable, and the forest is no longer abundant. One of those who went on night patrol in the village stumbled upon one of the cursed metin stones outside the forest where you went hunting. It's impossible for these cursed stones to be here. The whole world, even the Dragon God, has vanished. I've conducted some examinations on the fragments of the metin stones, and they are definitely lunar meteorites. It seems the curse has even begun to shatter the moon. This implies that the world will be shattered very soon. Perhaps before the earth cracks and explodes, these stones falling from the moon will have already brought about its end. The fact that they fell into our village provides some clues. These magical lands were likely constructed somewhere between the moon and the earth. If these fragments of stone can come here from the moon, they can also take us back to the earth.

-But why should we return to the world? It's a place where those who desire our demise reside.

In truth, as Noble Wolf posed this question, the answer was already clear in his mind. When the world perished, those who inflicted tyranny upon them would meet their end as well. Moreover, the Dragon God, who had blinded himself with power and cursed the world with his magical abilities, would be destroyed by his own hand. Yet, the implication was that the inhabitants of this hidden village would be the last humans to walk the annals of history. Once they perished here, there would be no creature left with the intellect to comprehend the universe. There was no benefit in acting or thinking out of the bitterness and anger of the past.

On the day of the massacre, Noble Wolf, once a young lad, had grown to become the strongest, the most astute, and the swiftest among them. Among the hunters here, he commanded respect owing to these qualities. The other transformed individuals recognized Noble Wolf's strength, as well as his compassion and leadership, and thus accepted his command with solemnity. Once known as Batur Ay Han in his human days, his name was now Noble Wolf. Only 15 years had passed. It wasn't too late to rescue his family members who might still be alive and in captivity. By returning to the world, they could prove themselves and perhaps have a chance to save their women and children, even at the risk of their own lives.

-But you also know the answer to this, Noble Wolf. But if you truly seek a reason, it is to save us all from oblivion.

Myonghorang wasn't entirely honest when he spoke of saving us all. Noble Wolf knew the answer, but he wasn't prepared for today. Over the years, he had quietly accepted that he would fade away in these enchanted lands. He couldn't find a reason to cling to life. What about love? He had already started to disregard his own life, but what if his wife still hoped for rescue? It wasn't the fear of death that held him back, no. The real issue was helping humanity, the very same that inflicted such pain upon them. Who could stomach such a thing... As questions and dilemmas raced through his mind, Sage Myonghorang watched Noble Wolf carefully, as if he could read his thoughts like an open book. After a prolonged silence, the sage spoke, "If you wish, let us proceed to the meal and continue our conversation over food."