11 | A Hero's Guilt

Ten Hours After

"Adrien?"

The model stirred in his sleep and unconsciously pulled Marinette closer as they slept next to each other in the couch.

"Adrien!"

The bedroom door slammed open and Nathalie ran in. She and Gorilla just got back from the airport. The business trip was canceled after Adrien's frantic call last night and Nathalie had spent all night and all morning talking and conversing with Officer Roger.

A search for Gabriel Agreste was put into effect immediately.

Nathalie found Adrien—and Marinette Dupain-Cheng?—sleeping together on the couch. She was stunned at the sight of them, unsure of what to do or how to react. She did give Adrien permission to invite a friend over, but she and assumed it would have been Nino.

She cleared her throat as she kicked the couch. "Good morning, you two."

The pair jumped, startled awake, and accidentally bumped their heads together. "Sorry..." They muttered in sync.

Adrien's eyes widened as he realized who woke them up. "NATHALIE?! You're... back?"

"I returned home as soon as I could," She began to explain. "How are you holding up?"

"I-I don't know," He admitted as he scratched his arm. "Any news of my father? Has anyone seen him?" No one would have, but he still had to ask.

"Your father's second car was found abandoned about two hours out of town. Officer Roger has issued search parties all over Paris."

Adrien faked a gasp. "What are you saying? My father is missing?!"

"That's what it seems, yes," Nathalie whispered.

Marinette hugged him. "I'm so sorry, Adrien. You've been worried sick all night... I know this isn't the news you wanted."

"I want to look for my father," Adrien said, pulling back from Marinette, but keeping a hand on her waist. "I can't just sit around and let everyone else do the work. I need to help."

"Adrien, I was harassed by paparazzi and reporters just leaving the airport and arriving home. Ever since this story hit the news, it's been non-stop attempts for a breaking news story. It's probably best—and safer—if you stay at home, where you're isolated from everyone. So, starting today, you'll be homeschooled again." 

Adrien assumed that would happen and he agreed without a fight. He didn't want to see or talk to anyone, but he also didn't want to be locked up in his room, though that he was used to, at least.

"Shit!" Marinette gasped. "School!" She scrambled to find her shoes and waved at Adrien and Nathalie. "Bye!" She shouted as she ran out of the room and downstairs.

Nathalie stepped forward and grabbed his hand. "Don't worry, Adrien. We're going to find your father."

"And if we... don't?"

She sighed. "I can't even imagine something horrible happening to Gabriel."

I can. Adrien looked away, immediately feeling guilty. He was afraid if he held eye contact with Nathalie for too long, he'd crack and spill everything.

"We won't rest until your father is back home and safe," She assured him.

"What if my father was kidnapped?" He asked. "Or what if he's..."

Dead.

Nathalie shook her head. "Don't think like that."

"You're right. I should be more positive."