Thirteenth Bit - Yliherra

As twilight embraced the city of Centisia, stretching its shadows across the stone and cobble, Iris found solace on her balcony, gazing into the sprawling urban expanse from her opulent retreat. The nearing upheaval of her realm lay heavy on her shoulders, a silent storm brewing against the backdrop of an eerily quiet city life.

Inhaling the crisp dusk air, she allowed the gentle caress of the wind to soothe her furrowed brow, though her mind remained ensnared by a web of strategies and uncertainties. A lingering doubt haunted her—the repercussions of the Commonwealth's foiled assault gnawed at her, compelling her to make hard decisions that thinned her circle of trust, severing potential alliances abroad.

With her eyes now open, she absorbed the view of Centisia illuminated under the night's embrace, its lights flickering like stars fallen to earth. The path she was about to tread promised a grim tally of sacrifice and sorrow, yet it was a path she deemed necessary for the rebirth of her domain.

Her contemplation was pierced by a discreet knock at her door. "Enter," she announced, her voice steady, a beacon amidst the storm of her thoughts.

Iris's chamber door slowly swung open, revealing a silhouette shrouded in the evening's dimness. A momentary tension gripped Iris as her hand instinctively reached for the concealed blade within her garment.

"Fear not," the familiar voice emanated from the shadow, dissipating Iris's apprehension. Stepping into the light, the figure revealed itself to be Sylvia, her expression etched with seriousness. "I have returned, Your Highness."

A wave of relief washed over Iris, though she masked it well. Sylvia's absence had been a silent concern, for she was among Iris's most valued and faithful operatives. "What transpired with you?" Iris inquired.

With a respectful bow, Sylvia replied, "Forgive me, my lady, for my report is incomplete. In brief, I was observing the Commonwealth's assault as you commanded, but found myself ensnared in the explosive chaos and the ensuing inferno of the woods."

Iris observed Sylvia with a critical eye, noting the scorched sections of her attire. "Obviously," she remarked. "How did you manage to escape unscathed? Your attire suggests you were in the midst of the turmoil."

Sylvia straightened up, inspecting the singed marks on her hand as she recounted her tale. "Unexpectedly, a young lad came to my aid. A feline beastman, if I'm not mistaken. Though, it's worth mentioning his imposing stature, despite being a cat beastman."

"Intriguing," Iris mused. "How large are we talking?"

"Significant," Sylvia replied, stretching her arm above her head. "He towered over two metres, I'd estimate. He pulled me from the fiercest flames, and even as he fell, he used his own body to shield me."

Iris raised an eyebrow, her voice laced with disbelief. "Sylvia, are you suggesting that the very individual responsible for the bombings was also your saviour?"

"Indeed, Your Highness," Sylvia affirmed, placing a hand over her heart. "I assure you, there is no falsehood in my account."

Iris pondered for a moment before conceding. "Very well. However, you require fresh armour and attire for tomorrow's undertaking. Nora."

As if materialising from the shadows, Nora appeared beside the princess, bowing respectfully. "At your service, Your Highness."

Iris motioned towards Sylvia, "Accompany her to find Thomas, he should be with Jasper. Ensure she is properly outfitted with new armour."

"Yes, Your Highness," Nora responded, bowing slightly before departing with Sylvia.

Left alone, Iris exhaled deeply, weariness evident in her posture. "What is it now?"