Hit

Kelly and Stella sat in front of Chief Boden's desk as he sat perched on the edge with a smile, which the couple hoped was because he had good news.

"So I am happy to tell you both that since Kylie has moved on to begin her career in the CFD a spot has opened up right here in our office of 51, and the  Deputy Commissioner has given the ok for Stella to take that position until she is able to return to Truck 81."

"That is awesome Chief, thank you so much!"

"Yeah, thanks Chief."

Kelly started

"I knew you might have to pull some strings to make it happen but-"

"Actually it didn't take that much, when I mentioned that they would actually be saving on the budget since they wouldn't have to hire another civilian. But there was one stipulation. That since it would be for an extended period of time I would have to pull in another Lieutenant instead of having an Acting."

"Who did you have in mind?"

Stella asked, all of a sudden nervous.

"Well I made a few calls and asked around, and I decided that Lieutenant Meyers would be a good fit. He's been floating for a while, but every Chief he has ever worked under had nothing but positive reviews. I'll make the announcement at roll call, he'll be in a little later."

"Sounds good Chief."

"Good, dismissed."

Lieutenant Cory Meyers dropped his bag on the bench in the locker room of 51, as he was looking for an open locker when Gallo walked in, seeing a man around six foot with short black hair tattoos running up both arms.

"Oh uh hey there, you must be Lieutenant Meyers?"

He held out his hand, Cory shook it with a smile.

"I am, nice to meet you..?"

"Gallo."

"Gallo, are you one of my firefighters?"

"No, I ride on Engine. You got Mouch and Carver, both great guys."

Meyers smiled

"Good to know. Well I'm going to get settled. See you around?"

"Of course, if you need anything...or any ideas for meals let me know."

"I will keep that in mind."

The day had been a slow one so far, Cory slowly met everyone in the firehouse and tried to settle in the best he could. He and Stella had a one on one conversation and all seemed to be well in 51.

After school Sadie made her way up to the firehouse, earbuds firmly placed as Ice Nine Kills blasted muting out the world around her. It hadn't been that great of a day and she was looking forward to a good vent session with her brother, which usually turned into taking swings at the punching bag or doing some kind of workout with him. Her therapist had suggested using exercise as a way to redirect her feelings and Kelly had taken it to heart to help.

Lieutenant Cory Meyers had just finished a phone call out on the apparatus floor when he saw a young girl walking up.

"Hey!"

He didn't get a response

"Hey kid!"

He walked closer, seeing the earbuds in her ears. Reaching out he gripped her shoulder, a sudden sharp pain in his face sent him to the ground.

"Oh shit! Oh my god I'm so sorry!"

Sadie looked down seeing a firefighter she didn't recognize on the ground, blood coming from his nose that he clutched in his hands as her hand throbbed from the sudden contact.

Sylvie was taking inventory of the ambulance when she heard the commotion, stepping out she saw a scene that was hard to comprehend.

"Sadie? What happened?!"

She knelt down to check on the new Lieutenant, as Sadie looked on with wide eyes.

"I-I...I'm sorry I-I don't know what happened...I-"

It was then that Kelly walked outside to take his place at the Squad table only to see his sister in tears, and Stella's substitute being helped to the ambulance by Brett.

"Sades? Hey what happened you ok!?"

"I-I didn't mean to!"

She sobbed, falling into Kelly's arms.

Meyers and Brett watched as Kelly comforted the young girl before ushering her inside.

"I don't know what happened. I was just trying to get the kids attention, wasn't sure if she was allowed to be here."

He hissed as Brett examined his nose.

"That was Sadie, she's Kelly's little sister."

"I assume she's around a lot?"

"Yeah....let me tell you about little Severide..."

Kelly was finally able to calm Sadie down enough to get the full story.

"So you were listening to music, didn't hear him and when you felt someone grab your shoulder you swung?"

She nodded, wiping at her nose.

"I mean, I guess those self defence classes worked."

He chuckled, earning a glare from his little sister.

Sadie emerged into the common room around meal time, glancing around she saw the normal crowd, but also the new Lieutenant sitting at a table filling out paperwork and nursing his now bruising nose with an ice pack.

She made her way over, taking a seat across from him.

"Hi Lieutenant..."

"Ah, Sadie."

"Yeah, hey I'm so sorry about what happened. I-"

He held up a hand, silencing the young girl, putting his pen down.

"Paramedic Brett gave me a little of your background."

"She did?"

"Yes, and based on what she told me...I don't blame you for how you reacted."

"I-I'm just kind of embarrassed..."

"Don't be...why don't you say we start fresh?"

He held out a hand

"I'm Cory."

She took his

"Sadie...and you're filling in for my Sister In Law, so you better do a damn good job."

"Language young lady!"

She ducked her head glancing  to the man berating her.

"Sorry Herman."