Chapter 1 These times

These times are hard. A struggle. With the people suspecting us, we could be found out any moment. We try to bite and wipe, but sometimes it just doesn't work out, sometimes we mess up. Nowadays people have glasses and contact lenses, they somehow block our erasing, they know what we do, and they go and report on U.S., that's why so many of us have gone missing lately, soon they will find us, they'll find us all. That's why we have to be really careful on who we eat. We have to watch them first, get to know them, then, that's when we strike. Usually we go for the neck or wrist, that or any other main artery we can find, then, once we've had enough, we bandage them up and teach them to forget. We can then reuse them. Most of us only have one or two humans for our needs, but the ones on the move can use up to 250 a year! Those ones are the ones who get caught, the carefree ones.

You don't realise how much power the humans hold until you see it for yourself. My mother was slaughtered by humans. I was a youngling when it happened. They came for her, said she'd stole something of theirs. They never would have found her if she didn't attack. They had backup, they were prepared, they had their guns with the wooden bullets. One shot to somewhere like an arm is lethal. She died the next morning. They found me and took some tests to check if I was a human blood bag or a vampire. I was passed as a human. I was only 6, so they put me up for adoption. Little did they know, at 16 if become a fully developed vampire. When I turned 16 I ate my adoptive parents. A fellow vampire family found and raised me, taught me the ways, how to survive, how I would age. Everything and anything I'd need to know in future. By 19 they knew I was ready to be let alone. Ever since then I've been alone, looking for a coven, some vampires like me. After 100 years I still haven't found one, but I'm starting to wonder if vampires aren't my thing. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong beings...