Chapter 1 : Reincarnation?

"If I ever get a chance, I would choose to be reincarnated over death."

Never have I regretted my words so much.

You see, my parents died when I was young due to a drunk driver who ran over them when they were on their way to fetch me from preschool. Although the driver was caught, my parents could not be revived, and the police could only express their condolences. My parents had no siblings, and all grandparents were welcoming my parents up above. Luckily, my parents had prepared a savings account for emergencies, although I could only take ownership of it when I reached legal age. Hence, leaving me with no choice but to be sent to an orphanage.

Growing up in the confines of an orphanage, I was often bullied due to my timid nature and by the fact that I was a newcomer. Hence, the days I had were harsh, and the only solace I found was in the pages of books. It was within the world of words that I found refuge from the harsh realities I faced at a tender age. Among all those stories, one stood out, named [A Hero's Tale].

It told the tale of how the MC managed to overcome the hardships he faced one by one. Idolizing the MC of [A Hero's Tale], I often wished to be someone like him and prayed every day to be as cool and righteous as him. So, I studied for hours and hours on end, wishing that God would take notice of me and reincarnate me to become the MC of the story I love.

And eventually, as I grew older and matured, I managed to enroll in Eiyu University, one of the most prestigious universities in the country. The savings account that my parents left for me was also enough for me to study until I found a stable job. Hence, I started to enjoy my university life, forgetting my dreams of my younger self...

3 Years later~

As it was time to bid farewell to my school life, I began packing my belongings in the one-room dorm I had called home. I searched around the room, making sure I hadn't left anything behind.

"Huh? What's this?"

Mumbling to myself, I found [A Hero's Tale] under my bed – a story that defined me. Nostalgia hit as I reread it; it seems that after all these years, my love for this tale endures.

The story takes place in a futuristic setting in 1940, when the first dungeons appeared, nicknamed 'The Catastrophe,' and humans all over the world started gaining the ability to use skills. It is still unknown what factor influences which skill you get, but most people are able to know what skill they get intuitively when they first receive it.

The Main Character was your typical justice-obsessed person who could be found in every story. He was also an orphan, similar to my situation, and managed to awaken a skill that changed his life. The skill he had was <<Sword of Light>>, an S-tier skill that summons swords of light that can heal the user, defend, and attack. It was, in short, a cheat-like skill. Furthermore, he stumbled upon an Archangel that granted him a <<Sword master>> skill and an item that nullifies debuffs.

Afterward, he gets tangled up in disasters that happen. For example, a dungeon error occurred due to a different dungeon forming naturally inside of it. The Main Character had to tackle 2 dungeons at once, and although he did, he was compensated for saving his teammates and closing the dungeon; he was put into the spotlight with everyone attempting to target him due to how versatile his skills are.

What happened afterward was a minor incident where the villain organization, 'Reaper,' attempted to kidnap the Main Character due to the threat he could be in the future. With his <<Sword of Light>> skill, he managed to break free and escape. Although Reaper was destroyed by the Main Character in the future, they still possessed a huge threat that could even go against the number one hero.