Chapter 15

I had to go straight to Damon, we had unfinished business and I needed an explanation. With a heavy heart, I set off in the direction of the mansion that could just be seen on the horizon. Yet dawn was approaching rapidly, and if I wanted my strength to remain by time I reached Damon, I would have to stop and rest during the day. Cursing to myself at the time that would be lost, I took cover in a small sheltered area.

As soon as it was twilight, I emerged and continued my journey, feeling rested and slightly stronger. Within half an hour I was back at the maze. As if it were only yesterday, I moved through it with ease, remembering the way Ailyn had taught me to know these twists and turns.

I burst through the doors to the mansion. “Damon!” There was no reply, but I wasn’t going to give up. “Damon! Get out here right now!”

I went straight upstairs to his room. Empty. I hesitated for just a moment before cautiously walking towards Ailyn’s old room. As I pushed open the door, Damon was sitting on the bed, his head in his hands. His head shot up as I walked in, he looked weak, tired and ill.

“Brother, what has happened to you?” I asked from afar.

Damon responded with a glare. “Get out.”

“No, I’ve come here to have words with you. But I find you looking like a wreck on drugs.” I shook my head at him with disappointment. He was never very stable.

“I’m not on drugs, foolish brother.” He snapped.

“You haven’t looked this bad since the episode with Ailyn.” He shot me a dirty look, malice in his eyes.

“Don’t talk to me about her; I don’t want to hear it.” He dipped his head again, his blonde hair falling into his face. It was dirty and overgrown. He wasn’t taking care of himself.

“What are the withdrawal symptoms from?” I demanded. I wasn’t going to get decent answers from him in this state.

“Her.”

I stared at him in confusion. “Who?” Then it hit me. “Not Evain?” He lifted his head to me once again weakly, and nodded. I laughed. “How can you have withdrawal symptoms from a human? You feed off of humans all the time.”

“She’s different and you know it.” He snapped.

“So why give her to Elizabeth?! Why leave her and let Ivan come after her?” Then I froze. “How am I not experiencing the same effect?”

“I started feeling like this a couple of days ago… I haven’t fed from her in a while. I feel like I’m shutting down!”

I could only stare at the despair in his face. “I do not have much longer before I am in the same state. But it’s a feeling that will pass, we experienced this with Ailyn before, we’re fine.”

“It’s different.” His voice was hollow and dark. “I need her back.”

“You gave her away to Elizabeth, you can hardly take her back now. They’ve grown close…”

His eyes shot to me quickly. “What do you mean close?”

I clenched my jaw and tried to push away the image, but it stood there in my head adamant. Their arms around each other, Elizabeth in her underwear, her lips pressed against Evain’s.

“Tell me!” Damon shouted.

“They kissed.” I admitted sadly.

Damon’s face went blank and he stared off into the far corner of the room.

“How could you think this would work?” I asked him. “What could have made you give her away?! You left her unprotected! Do you know what Ivan did to her?!” He couldn’t meet my gaze.