Chapter 3

"Good morning Mr. Almendras. Welcome back Sir." Ruth, my secretary smiled at me as she ushered me inside my office. I gave him my polite nod.

"How was everything when I was away?"

"Everything runs smoothly Sir."

"Great." I muttered. Ruth proceeded in reminding me my meetings and other engagement for today. I fire up my laptop and checks on some emails. So far, I received 25 new emails and 15 updates with regards to the new project that I am collaborating with my high school friend s and soon to be business associates.

"That's all for today Sir. Anything you want to add?" I glanced at Ruth and wondered why she was still inside my office. Damn! I easily got carried away with other thoughts.

"Nothing extraordinary?" I asked trying to appear like I've heard all she said earlier. She shook her head, meaning no, nothing extra ordinary about my routine when she seemed to remember something.

"By the way Sir, executive secretary of the de Alonzo Holdings went here yesterday for some-". I motioned her to stop as my phone started ringing. My father was calling. What does my father want at this ungodly hour?

"Hi Pa." I said over the phone.

"Good morning son. How's your one month vacation?"

"Oh! It was great Papa. Thank you for granting me that vacation."

"Of course. You know I always would. So have you found the one?"

"The one?" I parroted.

"Come on, Son. Kelan mo pa pala kami bibigyan ng apo ng Mama mo? Aba'y sabik na sabik na kami sa mga bata." I rolled my eyes in frustration. Here we go again.

"Yeah, right. Kaya ako ngayon ang minamadali ninyo?" I wanted to get mad. Settling down was far beyond my thoughts. I value my freedom and I am enjoying the perks of being single. No complications, no string attached. That's all I need.

"You're not getting any younger. By now, dapat may –asawa ka nang inuuwian." I can hear his teasing tone.

"Pa, darating din po tayo dyan." I said as I was trying to control my irritation. This was really old news.

"Aba'y malapit na mawala sa kalendaryo ang edad mo anak." I chuckled. My Dad was really unpredictable.

"Send Mom my kisses, okay? I'll be there next week." I said and ended the call. When I looked up I still find Ruth standing in front of my desk. Waiting for me. My eyes narrowed. Doesn't she have tons of work to do?

Yes?" I snap. Don't mix your personal issue with your staff Almendras.

"Yes Sir. As I was saying earlier, Ms. Paige Concepcion of de Alonzo Holdings went here yesterday and personally brought this card." She handed me baby pink card envelope. Pink? Very feminine. Natigilan ako at napaisip kung ano ang sadya sa akin ni Ms. Concepcion. I haven't heard of her ever since.

"What does she want?"

"She said it was personal Sir."

"Okay. Thanks." I threw the pink envelope over the table.

"You want coffee Sir." I smiled at her question.

"Yes please. Make it black, no sugar."

"Right away Mr. Almendras." She gave me an impish smile before she headed to the door. Well, Ruth was the best secretary I ever had so far.

As I was reviewing the project plans of the coffee shop that I am about to expand with my Senior High friends and as I waited to Ruth to hand me my coffee, my trunk line rang.

"Ruth." I said to the caller.

"I'm sorry to interrupt Mr. Almendras but you have a visitor."My eye brows arched. Who would that be?

"Who?"

Ms. Concepcion is here to see you Sir." I let out a heavy breath. God! Ni hindi pa uminit ang pwet ko sa upuan. Heto't may asungot na agad na gusting makipagkita sa akin?

"Alright. Send her in." After a few moments, my door swung opened as Ruth entered holding a tray with two coffee mugs, followed by a petite lady in her corporate attire. My eye surveyed my unexpected guest.

Good morning Mr. Almendras. It's nice to see you in person Sir." Ms. Concepcion extended her right hand for a handshake, her voice full of confidence.

"The pleasure is mine. Please be seated." I gestured the couch opposite my table.

"Ayoko nang magpaligoy-ligoy pa Mr. Almendras. I'm here for my boss's urgent concern. She needs to see you tonight." The urgency was visible in her voice.

"For what business Ms. Concepcion?" I queried without hiding my impatience. Her eyes fluttered for a moment. Surprised with my coldness I think.

"My boss needs a sperm donor A.S.A.P."

"And she chooses it to be YOU." She affirmed boldly.

What the hell?