Chapter 5

-"What do you mean it's not you?"
-"Exactly what I said, it not me. I never broke up with Jay, infact I didn't even go to school that day."
-"Lina, I know you regret this, but lying isn't gonna help-"
-"Just hear me out! That day, when you called me in the morning, saying that Jay was cheating on me, I was so upset that I skipped school. In the evening, I saw the video. I don't know who that is! I wasn't even there!"
-"Oh for god's sake! I DIDN'T CALL YOU AND JAY DIDN'T CHEAT. WHY WOULD HE!? And why would I call you about your boyfriend cheating? I would have told you face to face. You know I hate sharing important news on the phone."
She looked at me first with confusion and then with a look of realization.
-"That means that it was the one who called me."
-"Who are you taking about!?"
-"Kathy, please listen to me. This is going to sound crazy and I know it is crazy, but there's something in the town that can shapeshift and manipulate us. I think-"
I had had enough.
-"JUST SHUT UP, OK? You are sick! You don't have this much of humanity left in you that you go and apologize to Jay. That's why you are making up fantasies about ghosts and monsters. I can't believe this. That boy is crazy for you. He cries day and night. At class, he keeps looking at your seat. And this is how you repay him for all the love he showed you. You are a COWARD!"
-"Kat, please believe me. I love him, I wouldn't hurt him."
-"You need help Lina, and I hope you get it. Good bye."
Saying that I left the room. I could hear her screaming and crying.
-"IT IS GOING TO KILL ME! BELIEVE ME! IT KNOWS! IT KNOWS ALL OUR SECRETS! NO ONE WILL LIVE! IT WILL HUNT YOU ALL DOWN! YOU ARE GOING TO DIE! ALL OF YOU! HELP ME!"
I wanted to help her, but there was nothing I could do. She is going crazy, I thought to myself.

I didn't realize, that was the last time I would ever talk to her.

I entered my room and saw Devon sitting on my bed. As I entered, he looked up at me and asked-
-"Is she okay?"
-"SHE IS NUTS!"
I took a deep breathe and sat down next to him.
-"Why? What did she say?"
-"You wouldn't believe if I tell you. She says it's not her in the video, it's some shape shifting monster whose going to kill her."
-"I didn't get a word of what you just said."
-"Neither did I! She is guilty of what happened and we all understand, but that doesn't mean she gets to make up such bizarre unrealistic fantasies. Why doesn't she grow up!?"
-"Hey, calm down. No good getting your blood pressure up for a mad woman."
-"She is my best friend and that was not funny. Did you ever imagine what you would do if you saw Jay talking nonsense?"
Devon looked at me apologatically.
-"I am sorry. Of course she was your best friend and-"
-"She is."
-"Ok. She is your best friend and you feel bad, but it's of no use being freaked out about it, right? Its obvious she needs help and instead of ranting about it, let's try to get her that. As long as I think, she felt very bad for doing whatever she did to J, but was too scared to apologise. So, her mind makes up this story of a villain who does the crime and not her."
-"She looked like she didn't sleep for days and her room looked like a garbage can."
-"See! Explains it all. Can you even imagine Lina's room being dirty and her without make up? The girl is a fashionista! This just proves a mental breakdown and hence going crazy. Don't worry, we'll do something and get her all fixed up."
-"How do you always know the right words?"
-"When I'm with you, only the right words come out."
-"Can you stop being cheesy and ask me out already?"
-"If you think I will stop being cheesy after we are official, you are wrong."
-"We'll get our Lina back right? Just as sweet and funny?"
-"Of course we will! Besides, I don't think I will be able to live without her annoying little screams and horrendous fashion sense."

We both laughed. Laughed. Didn't give a care. Didn't give a care to think about the days that awaited. Bloody days that awaited. Didn't bother think. Didn't bother think about the words uttered by the helpless girl. It knows all our secrets.