Chapter 7

"Stop here, ma'am. Is your name on the list?" The big black bouncer asked me. He was dressed in an exceptionally tight shirt that stuck to every crevice of his pectoral muscles. His thickly corded biceps strained against the shirt and caused any trouble maker to think twice before crossing him. 

"Yes. I am Ella. Ella Renauld," I answer. 

The bouncer checks his iPad for the name and after 30 painfully slow seconds looks up at me and says, "Sorry, you're not on the list."

"That cannot be right. Maybe you should check once again,"  I ask sweetly.

The bouncer grants me this small courtesy but comes up with the same result. "There's no one by that name, ma'am."

"Could you try Aisha Aggarwal," I say. Jean might have forgotten to give my new name.

"Ma'am, I am going to have to ask you leave quietly," the bouncer replies. Apparently switching names right in front of the bouncer was not a very bright idea.

"But this must have been some mistake. I am on the list. This is my best friend's birthday!" I cry out in indignation.

The bouncer wraps his meaty fist around my upper arm, perfectly fitting within its grasp. He starts to gently haul me out of the entrance of the private room that had been reserved for Anna's birthday. It was a surprise party that had been organised by Jean and Vincent. It had been in the works for a whole 2 weeks, but I had just realized it today morning when Vincent had asked me what time I was reaching the club.

"What club?" I had asked in befuddlement.

"Duc De Lombards?" Vincent had said.

"Is there a reason I am supposed to be there?" 

"It's a surprise party for Anna.  Didn't Jean tell you?"

I had sighed at that. Jean had not spoken a single word to me since he had handed me my new identity documents. I was invisible to the man despite the fact that we lived under the same roof. I spent most of my days catching up on college work and finding a part-time job so that I could save up on getting an apartment on rent. I had bumped into Jean every now and then but I was swiftly ignored by him. I remember offering him a smile and a polite "Good Morning" when I had crossed him on my way to breakfast and he had simply chosen to disregard my greeting; choosing to instead make a call on his phone. After making excuses for the first few times at his obliviousness and lack of courtesy, I decided it was best to simply shrug off his behavior. The man was an enigma to everyone and I had finally given up on deciphering him.