04

The room crackled with tension, the delicate balance of power teetering on the edge of chaos

A palpable unease settled over the chilly room, seeping into my bones and sending shivers down my spine.

It was a rare sight to witness our mother exerting even the slightest control over our father, yet her subtle influence hung in the air like a heavy fog suffocating us all.

"Warren Huntington and Asher Livingstone," Mother's voice cut through the silence like a knife, her words dripping with significance. "Their families have woven a web of partnership for generations. Their agency is the cornerstone of their alliance."

Camden slumped on the sofa, his dark curls tousled as he ran a hand through his hair in frustration. I stole a glance at him, my gaze lingering on his rugged features—his crooked nose, a testament to past battles, and his piercing eyes framed by envy-inducing lashes.

Getting lost in my thoughts- a habit I had acquired since I was little, I had always played a secret game. In those times when I felt confined within my thoughts, I guiltily gave me pleasure to dream of the future and to conjure up a fool's paradise, offering a manipulative escape and giving myself a taste of the impossible before leaving a trail of desperation.

Fragments of familiar feelings, sounds and smells ignited those dreams. However, the harder I tried to get to them, the foggier it all became, and a poignant feeling was left behind in its wake.

Camdens jaw clenches as our mother continues, revealing the notorious reputation of the "Golden Boys," their charm and connections to the local authorities making them untouchable.

"Crooked cops?" I blurted out, my confusion evident.

"Thanks to them, those boys know no boundaries. Each time, they push the limits of the authorities, seeing how much they can get away with." Mother's cryptic response only deepens the mystery, leaving me hungry for answers.

"I would know," Camden speaks up.

"You know them?" I ask him incredulously.

"I do." He nods. "But not by the best circumstances." He vaguely explains.

"What circumstances?" My interest perks up. I never knew Camden had contact with any of the heirs. Specifically in 'not the best circumstances'- as he puts it.

Sure, Camden is charming and can sometimes even be a little full of himself. But getting involved with the Golden Boys? That's a whole new side of him.

It's surprising. Really. He hates the Legacy as much as I do, and though they might cross paths due to his rugby training, they are still in an upper league. Them being two years older.