64

"Cara, why don't you eat a little? Go over to the hotel, eat something, freshen up, and come back." I could hear the worries in Agatha's voice.

Alex was wheeled out for some tests that were required by Dr. Livingston, and Agatha and I were left waiting here in her room.

"You had a long flight coming here and I'm sure you didn't even close your eyes even for a second on the plane. And I will bet, you didn't even touch the food they serve you there."

She was sitting beside me, her hand gently caressing my back and the other was in my forearm.

Her gaze was warm and it was very unfamiliar to me. My Mom never looked at me like that.

I covered my face with both my hands, rubbing my eyes hard. I must look awful to her.

"I'm sure Alex would agree if you'd spend the night at the hotel, I'm here anyway, Cara, I won't leave her side, and I will call you if anything happens, I promise."

I must be super tired as I found myself nodding at her suggestion.

I don't want to leave Alex's side, and if I am being honest, I don't want to leave her as I am very scared that something might happen to her while I'm gone.

Agatha's hand extended to my shoulder, side-hugging me.

This must be the feeling of having a warm and loving Mother.

She's not my Mom but I feel this trust toward her. It is strange because I feel this only with my Dad, not even with my Aunts and my grandparents.

"I'll just wait for her to come back and hear what the Doctor has to say."

"Of course, dear, of course."

We stayed in that position till Alex was wheeled inside the room along with Dr. Livingston.

Both of us stood up almost immediately.

"Hi." I greeted Alex, she smiled and held out her hand searching for mine.

I reached for it and held it.

The Doctor was writing something on his clipboard while the nurse waited for him. After a while, he handed his clipboard to the nurse and whispered something while she nodded continuously.

"Thank you, Doctor." I heard the nurse say before giving him another clipboard and left the room.

He smiled at us first before speaking.

"How are you, Ms. Williams?" Addressing Alex.

"I'm fine, Doctor, I guess." She said and squeezed my hand.

"Apologies as some of the tests done might have been uncomfortable for your liking."

"Oh, no, Doctor. It's all fine."

"Okay." The nervousness crept up my chest, almost suffocating me. I didn't know I was holding my breath till I felt Alex's hand squeezing mine tightly. It's like she knows that the tension was building up inside me.

"Alright, let's go over the results of the tests we've conducted. I understand this has been a worrying time for you, Ms. Williams, and of course, for you both." He started.

We all nodded, clutching my hand tightly.

"Firstly, we performed a series of visual field tests to assess any abnormalities in your peripheral vision. These tests help us understand how well your optic nerves are functioning." He flips through some papers, occasionally glancing up to ensure we are following.

"What we've observed is consistent with compression of the optic nerve caused by the brain tumor. This is what's been affecting your vision, as I'm sure was already discussed before."

Alex swallows hard, but the doctor's reassuring tone eases some of the tension.

"Now, I want to emphasize that although the results may seem alarming, it's crucial to understand that this condition is temporary. The tumor is causing pressure on the optic nerve, but with treatment, we can relieve that pressure and restore your vision."

My eyes widened with a glimmer of hope, I looked at Agatha who seemed to have a thorn pulled out of her chest then at Alex, who definitely felt the same.

"We'll need to proceed with further tests to determine the extent of the tumor and the best course of action. But I want you to know that there are treatment options available, and we're here to guide you every step of the way. In the meantime, I'll prescribe some medications to help alleviate any discomfort or symptoms you may be experiencing. And of course, if you have any questions or concerns at any point, don't hesitate to reach out." The Doctor continued and handed us his card, Agatha took it from him and thanked him.

"Do you have any questions for me?"

"No, Doctor, Thank you so much!" It was Alex.

"By the way, if you choose to continue with the treatment in the US, there will be no issues there. I have colleagues who are stationed in your state and can assist you with that." He smiled and left the room.

"Thank you, Doctor!" I almost yell for him to hear it.

I gave way for Agatha to hug Alex.

"Oh, Mom, stop crying." Alex managed to say even though she looked like she was buried under Agatha's face and hair.

"Oh, I'm so happy, Alexandra. Oh, god, thank you so much!" She let go of Alex after a while and hugged me next.

She was still crying when she excused herself and made some calls.

"Cara?" Alex called on me, holding her hand out.

"I'm here." I reached for her hand, trying to stop my sniffle but failed.

"Come here, baby." She pulled my hand. I jumped on her bed, lay beside her, and hugged her. There I cried while she stroked my hair.

"I'm gonna be fine, Cara. I'm gonna see again, I'm gonna see you again." She tries to console me.

I am relieved hearing what the Doctor said and am very happy. But this is just a tiny part of her illness. Her tumor is still in her head, the chemo is not working anymore, and I worry about what will be next.

"Step by step, Cara. I'll be okay and I will get there, I promise." Alex whispered like she knew what was I thinking.

I hugged her tight.

Oh, if only we could stay like this forever, I will never ever let her go.

__________________________________

Hello, my lovely and funny readers, I set up a ko-fi account, so if you want to treat me, send me a gift, or simply motivate me, please feel free to visit my page: Ko-fi.com/lunamarcelo :)

Follow me on IG as well: LunaMarcel0

Thank youuuu for always supporting my work, I'm reading all your comments and I love how invested you are in the story :)