We're Getting There

(IMPORTANT: I changed a small part of the original book plot thing cause I thought it suited this one shot better. Yes, I know that James was there when Lily called him a mudblood. I just decided to tweak it a little :). Alright that's over. Enjoy :))

It was getting harder to be around him. Over the year everyday he seemed further away from her. Further away from the boy he was when we first met. His crowd had changed. A darker force was already beginning to stir in the midst of them. It had hurt to see that I was losing him. He's was my best friend after all. I mean sure, all we really did is fight those days but still. It's not like I wasn't trying.

Of course I had knew it was coming. I'd read the signs, you didn't have to do Divination to see it. Alice and Marlene had been trying for ages to get me to pull away from him first so I wasn't the one who got hurt. So seeing they were right I didn't feel comfortable seeking comfort in their arms. Even though I should have.

My life just seemed like it was in monotone. As I write these words they seem to have barely any effect on my brain or my expression. They just flow out. I'm was trying not to be upset at what he called me. I'd been called it before of course but it was just coming from him. The one slytherin in that slimy group had believed could be saved.

So yeah. And honestly, I thought I was doing a pretty good job of not caring. Not giving him a second glance in the hallways. Smiling around my friends constantly. But I felt like i was about to explode. I had to talk to someone about these emotions which were slowly filling up inside of me so I felt like I was gonna crack open and spill my emotions on the next first year who passed me in the hall.

So far Marlene and Alice did seem to be fooled. But I guess most people were currently pretty distracted with exams coming up. I should be. I would be.

But here's when the crazy happened.

It'd been about a week since Severus had called me that filthy name. I was just sitting in the common room. It was around 10:30, not too late. There was still had people scattered around in odd spots. It was one of those nights that even the 1st years were studying. Most people were caught up in there books. Unfortunately though I didn't have much to study for. I had no exams at all tomorrow or the next day. Then it was the weekend. So there wasn't much to distract me with. So I'd just been sitting there reading idly. Sort of bored really, when none other than James Potter came up to me.

He looked sort of concerened, as he should be. Most of our conversations ended with a fight. Yet of course he still had a hint of a smirk in his expression. As always. "Hey Lil," He said casually, sitting down on the seat next to me.
"Hi." I said barely looking up to from my book. Now I admit I didn't like this guy, but boy his cologne smell good. I wanted to shove my head into his chest and just so I could smell him. Woah Okay, where did that come from.
"Studying for anything?" He asked. Small talk? Really? I thought as I cautiously put my book down.
"What do you want?" I asked him, trying to sound annoyed but really I was kinda glad to talk to someone. I'd been feeling sort of lonely with everything that had happened.

"Nothing, i just wanna have a chat with my gal." He said defensively, raising his hands. I gave him a look.
"Okay fine, I'm sorry Lily but I can't stand it anymore. So I'm just gonna ask you. Are you okay?" This question shocked me, what did he mean 'are you okay?'. This train of thought lead me to ask excactly that. He replied with.
"I can tell. You seem distant." I tried to interrupt but he was already there. "Please don't deny it. I've watched you all week, you're shaken up. Your eyes tear up in class with nothing triggering it, and whenever you think no ones looking your face transforms into this depressed look." My first thought was it was sort of cute that he noticed that i was upset. Then I remembered what a jerk he was. My second thought was damn, I thought I was good at hiding it. I considered denying it but really what was the point? I sighed instead.

"Okay yes, I'm upset." I snapped. Thinking if the situation of Sev and the fact that James was the first to notice had gotten me flustered. Tears filled my eyes no matter how hard I tried to stop them.
"Why?" James asked, he looked generally concerned. Should I tell him? I took a stab in the dark. My hormones were running everywhere already anyway.
"Sev and I have fallen out. You happy now?" I watched James's face turn from slight joy, then concern, then absolute rage.
"What the hell did the slime bag do." He said strangely calm.
"Look it's really nothing to worry about." I replied, maybe telling him had been a mistake. But as the first tear leaked down my face it kind of ruined my cover. "Just a fight." I said. James's face softened.
"Lily, you need to talk about it. I can see your upset. That guy was just a slime-
"See! Why should I talk to you? You've been harassing me for years! You've always hated Severus.You're just another jerk trying to screw me over." I snapped. James's face fell at first, but then hardened again. I sighed. Now I felt bad.
"Merlin, I didn't mean to snap, it's just-"
"No Lily it's okay. I get it. But is there anyway you can just let it out, you seem pretty stressed out-" By then I just couldn't hold it in any longer. Sure this guy was a git to me 80% of the time, but right now, he was offering me a shoulders to cry on and in the moment that was pretty much all I needed. Lucky for me the common room had started filing out now that it was around 10:40 especially the younger ones. If anyone saw me crying and hugging James Potter that was about to commence, it would be the talk of the school.

He embraced me tightly when the surprise had worn off.
"I just really need to talk about it." I said through deep breaths. I was a mess that night as I raged on about Snape being such a jerk and the Slytherins. How I lost my best friend. How I was basically replaced.

James just listened. He seemed pretty pissed off at some points about the things Snape had done leading up to the event. When I told him he called me a mudblood his face turned red and he looked like he could kill a man.
"I swear when I get my hands on that git-" he started but I cut him off. I almost didn't care he was insulting him now. Almost laughing. Probably from lack of oxygen from crying so much.
"James." I said. Without thinking I placed my hand over his lightly. I then tensed and so did James, both realising what i had done. it was nearly twelve by this time and it seemed everyone else had left the common room. A part of me wanted to kiss him right then and there. But He was an immature git, I thought. But he took the time to listen to you, he noticed. Before I could make a decision to yank my hand away or just keep it there, James took my hand and threaded into his.

I was so conflicted in that moment. I didn't want to start something, I wasn't sure if he still had a thing for me but I didn't really wanna lead him on.
"James..." I started, hating how cheesy I sounded already. His expression didn't change.
"I know." Was all he said.

What happened next, well it was cliche I guess. And I don't know if it was a breeze from the window blowing his cologne my way or the cute way he just accepted it and understood. And maybe it was just because it was probably the worst and best thing I could do in this situation. I kissed him. Square on the mouth. He was pretty close to me already so it wasn't hard. And before I knew it I was tangled in him arms. A weird part of me thought I liked him (no not loved him, please, I don't believe love comes that easy) well, a lot in that moment. But maybe that was just because Merlin, that boy was a good kisser. With his arms were around my waist and I felt so safe.

Eventually I pulled away and I saw a shocked, yet overly happy expression on James face.
"Thank you for being there for me." I whispered.
"I think you've thanked me fine already" He said and winked. I hit him playfully. I got up and smoothed out my shirt.
"I'd.. Um.. appreciate if you didn't tell you friends about this."
"I won't." He said, and for once I believed what he told me.
"I'll see you around then." I said awkwardly, I had turned away when he said called out to me.
"Lily, do you think I'd ever have a chance with you." I smiled.
"I think you could. I'm just not in the best place right now and I'm not sure if I'm thinking straight. But yeah... I think you could." I replied.
"I knew you'd come around." He replied, winking.
"Git." I joked, while I started walking up the stairs again. Maybe when he got just a little more mature.

(HOORAY FOR UPDATING. I kinda like this one even though it's kinda all over the place. Not sure about the ending though, let me know if you like it! I kinda just wanted to write one when they didn't end up together yet HAHAHA. Thanks for all the suggestions also to people who commented. I'm getting around to them. Thanks to @kateturn for this idea! I tweaked it a little mainly because I didn't read it properly at first 😬. Also is this long? It seemed long to write but I don't have word count so I'm not sure.)