9

JULIE

"I don't know..." I shrugged.

He looked at me with sad eyes.

"Mark..." I called out, "Why are you doing all this?"

"Doing what?" He asked breathily.

"Being so nice to me." I chuckled. "I can't believe I'm saying this. You're a celebrity, Mark. You should be hanging out with people who are as popular as you."

"That's bullshit." He scoffed. "I can be friends with anyone and I choose to be with you."

"But why?" I asked.

"You wanna hear it again?" He chuckled. "I like you. More than I have ever liked any other girl. You understand?"

"I don't want to see anything but a smile on your face, and to be honest, I want to be the one to put that smile." He said. "This sounds really cheesy but it is what it is, man."

I chuckled, "Oh, Mark. You're the sweetest."

"Really?" He asked, grabbing my hand. "Listen, Jules. I'm not forcing anything on you, but I need you to just think about it."

"What?" I asked.

"I know you're still very upset, and it's too quick, but, will you go on a few dates with me?" He asked. "I can't believe I said this."

"Mark..." I sighed, "I would think about it. But just...not now."

"Yeah, yeah, of course." He gave a small smile. "Well, the rain has stopped, so I will go now. If you need anything, just call me, okay?"

"Mark?" I grabbed his hand.

"Yeah?" He looked at me.

"Thank you." I said, and he smiled, nodding.

*

The next day, I woke up feeling a lot better. I thought about what Mark said last night.

He's right. I shouldn't be upset over some dude who always looks like he is constipated.

I decided to open the cafe, and Sora and Dawon came into help. Sora bought some soup for me.

"Listen, Sora, I needed your advice on something." I called her.

I told her about everything. From Mingue cheating to Mark asking me out. Her jaw was dropped.

"You do realise how lucky you are, don't you?" Sora said. "Come on, Mark is not even a green flag, he's a fucking green forest."

"I know..." I said.

"I know what your concern is." She said. "It's too early, right?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Do you like him?" She asked.

"As a friend, yeah." I said.

"As more than friend?" She asked.

I stayed quiet. "I don't know. I really appreciate him. Sometimes I wished I wasn't crying over Mingue so that I could actually consider going on a date with him."

"Look, it's actually going to help you move on faster." Sora said. "You guys have known each other for not more than a few months and he's already seen you at your best, your worst. And he's never left your side."

"Julie aunty!" A squeaky voice was heard.

I turned around and I saw my favourite kid, Chanmi.

"Oh, my God! Hi!" I waved, and she ran up to me and hugged me.