Chapter Three: Intuition

Reference for the setting of this chapter ^^

Behind a traditional set of sliding doors was a small room with a twin-sized bed and wooden furnishings, all of which had been carefully prepared for the arrival of the new resident. The bookshelf was piled with colorful guides and handbooks, the desk was clean and untouched, and the bed was made up with delicate sheets. In the corner of the room stood a lamp that had already been lit with warm fire, and across from it, on the wall where the bed sat, a pair of Chinese-style windows allowed the sacred light of the sun to infiltrate the room. Since it was midday, the sight was actually quite charming.

It's rather homey, Luomiere thought, setting her luggage on the bed as she examined her new room. Although it could use some color.

"Luomiere," Suiren called from outside.

The elderly woman's gentle voice sounded out the characters in her name as if she were singing, but Luomiere quickly found that it was simply the way Suiren talked. Whether it was from old age or plain habit, she liked to draw out her words.

"Yes?" Luomiere replied, turning around to find the lady-in-waiting standing at her door.

"The young master is waiting for you in the living area. It will be time to serve him dinner soon," Suiren said, then, as an afterthought she added, "Ah, but you needn't worry yourself about that today. You won't start until tomorrow."

Luomiere nodded, but she had questions. She still wasn't entirely sure what was expected of her as a lady-in-waiting, but when she started to ask Suiren, she found that the woman had already taken off for the kitchen.

Luomiere looked out her door into the courtyard, and finding the old attendant nowhere in sight, she sighed. That old lady sure is fast.

Luomiere readjusted her hairpin before making her way to where she remembered the living area was. Jinshi's palace was large, but the layout wasn't as complicated as she had expected. All the common areas were in one place, while the bedrooms and utilities were spread out around the courtyard, and towards the right of the estate is where Jinshi's office was, a floor above everything else. His personal chambers lay deeper within the mansion, not terribly far from her and Suiren's.

Jinshi's personal guard, who she had learned was named Gaoshun, didn't live on the property, so Suiren was the only other resident of the home; emphasis on was.

The La family's estate was nearby, but Luomiere had been told that she would need to spend the night on the property of her new master for the first month. She wasn't entirely sure why that was a requirement, but protocol was protocol, she supposed. After the month was up, she would need to receive permission from Jinshi in order to go home; she didn't actually know if she would be allowed to spend the night, however.

Not that it really bothers me, she thought, arriving at the doors that lead into the living room. It's not like I talk to Dad or Brother very often. If I do ask to go somewhere, it'll be to the pleasure district to see Gramps and Maomao.

Luomiere stepped into the living room, smiling at the thought of hearing about her little sister's latest antics.

"You seem quite pleased."

Luomiere bowed, the smile on her face ever present, before responding, "Yes, sir. I was thinking about my family."

Had it not been a genuine smile, Luomiere might have scolded herself. Before she left, Lahan had told her to be on her best behavior, which meant that she couldn't go around grinning like a maniac all the time; it turns out that a constant grin unsettled people, and she thought it was in her best interest if she didn't reveal her true nature to her master and new co-workers just yet.