Chapter Seven: A Father's Love

Thank you all so much for supporting this story! I'm very thankful for how well Illuminate is doing. I've also posted it AO3, if you prefer that site. The account name is the same. 

Unfortunately, there will likely be more time in between my updates from this point forward, which is why this chapter is coming out later than usual. I was surprisingly busy this week, and it's looking like that'll be my new norm, especially as we move towards April. I'd really appreciate your patience as chapters will now be coming out every other week rather than weekly. Note that this schedule is not set, and I'm really writing on my own time more than anything. 

Anyways, enjoy chapter seven!

~

Warning: depictions of domestic abuse, gore, and murder

A/N: Seriously, this one gets pretty gruesome. I'll post another warning before it becomes too graphic, in case anyone wants to skip that part (you won't miss anything that won't be mentioned later on). 

Many years ago, in both a different time and place than what is known now, a young girl with bright eyes held tightly onto a working man's calloused hand. Together, the pair roamed through the vibrant streets of the pleasure district, where ornate lanterns always hung from above, and people, vendors and consumers alike, never ceased to bustle through; the man and the girl were not on either side of this spectrum though, at least, not today. Instead, they headed past all the stands and stalls, brothels and courtesans, until they entered a back alley where, one could say, hope goes to die; it was this darkened road that they called home.

"Daddy!" the little girl chirped, oblivious to the disease and desperation that lurked around her. "Do you think Mommy will like the gift Meowy and I made her?"

The man chuckled, but his sapphire eyes remained vigilant. "Yes, of course," he said, giving his daughter's hand a reassuring squeeze, "but Luomiere, what's with this new nickname? I thought you had taken to calling your cousin Meow Meow."

Luomiere stuck out her tongue. "She didn't like it, so I changed it to Meowy," the girl said, puffing out her cheeks in annoyance.

Her father smiled at her cuteness, earning a few envious glares from the vagrants around him. He supposed he couldn't blame them. If not for his daughter, who illuminated the many shadows of his life, he would likely be in a similar situation. Thankfully, he had been fortunate enough to be blessed with a gentle father, a paying job, and a sturdy roof over his head—his ever-optimistic daughter had only been a bonus, but if not for her, he likely would have lost the motivation to live on long ago. After all, life was still a gravel-coated road littered with cracks and holes, which is how he found himself living in the most detestable part of the capital, working himself to the bone for a malnourished, five-year-old girl and a malicious wife who was never satisfied.

The man sighed, quiet enough so that his daughter wouldn't hear. Had it just been the two of them, things would have been much simpler, and he wouldn't feel the need to cower every time he entered his home; however, he was to blame for his predicament. Nearly six years ago, he had been careless enough to get a nobleman's daughter pregnant, and ever since then, he'd been paying the price, both figuratively and literally.

The man grimaced, realizing that he had just lied to his daughter. He had told her that her mother would like her gift, but a second glance at the incorrigible drawing in her hand told him otherwise. His wife didn't appreciate gifts that had little value; he knew that from experience, yet he had told Luomiere otherwise. It had become a habit of his: no matter who asked, whether it be a coworker or even his own father, he would lie and tell them that he lived in a happy home with a loving wife and daughter. It was easier that way, he thought, and he wouldn't have to deal with the shame that came along with the truth—