Chapter 1- Reaping Day

MARIGOLD'S POV-

The 100th annual quarter quell. The game that changed everything. The game I would be volunteering for. The game that made history as usual. The Quarter Quell was the game that everyone looked forward to. To see how the arena changed and the new events they would add. The special circumstances of the year. All to kill one another for entertainment and to celebrate the war that was won that somehow caused us to lose our lives still. 100 years of hypocrisy, foolishness and idiocy.

How stupid could people be to not see through the treacherous ways of this country...and the man who called himself the president. Snow, or the devil as I would like to call him.

My mother a product of her environment. Trained to kill, to assimilate and obey. My father not so much. Sometimes I wonder how they ended up together maybe I was blind to seeing what he did. My little sister falling for the charm of President snow and is adaptable and manipulative ways. My older brother Adonis a Victor of the 97th hunger games of course having to obey or risk losing what he worked for.

As for I. I didn't hide how I felt. I never acknowledged the man. I would nod and shake hands. No words uttered in his presence. He was a snake that had to be watched and Katniss everdeen showed us that in the 74th annual hunger games. You know I really would've thought she would be the one to cause an uprising...but I don't think snow tried her because he knew what that meant if he did.

He used the hunger games to instill fear in people. To show he has control when he truly didn't. I think That's why he purposely added more tributes to the pool this year. I remember like it was yesterday when we all gathered at the careers center. Awaiting the blissful news to some. Every year 24 students get taken in to train and prepare for the games as we got evaluated and ranked to bid whether or not we would be the ones to represent our district.

The sounds of the Panem anthem rang through the speakers in the judgement hall as the projector broadcasted the announcement. Reading across the bottom "A message from President Snow: the 100th annual Quarter Quell reveal". I rolled my eyes crossing my arms as I leaned back in my chair glancing to my friend since childhood as she intently watched the broadcast. "The Hunger Games signifies a war fought 100 years ago to protect and save the souls that reside here in panem. But, to also Instill government,unity and authority. With that comes great sacrifices. Sacrifices that sometimes doubles when the fight has passion as it's main drive. Wars are also not fought alone. To reach a common goals we work with allies to be victorious. That's why this year not only will each district will provide two tributes of each gender, but the tributes will have to decipher groups of 6 and among these group will be 3 male tributes and 3 female tributes. These groups can win the games if all six tributes survive till the end, but if one is lost then only one victor can be reigned. This is a fight of the fittest, the smartest and the wittiest. Be prepared stay guarded. Make a choice that will either save your life or merely end it in one sweep. Panem today Panem tomorrow Panem forever". The wretched old man said as the projector shut off showing a standby screen.  I looked around seeing the mutters of my classmates as they began to plot how they would get to the games, who would make it and if they would survive.

If course being the daughter of a victor didn't sit right with others. They saw it as a disadvantage since both my parents and brother were trainers here at the career center. They thought I got by just by association...they dont know the work I have to put in just to be as much of a career as they were. "Hey Goldie, snap out of it." My dear friend  Lux said as she burn holes in my head with her eyes. "What." I say to her as I turned my head towards her. "I know you, and I know how you get when curve balls get thrown like that." She says to me as I huffed sitting back in my chair as I heard the cheerful banter fill up the room. Disgusting. "Let's not begin pretend things are gonna be ok, that mean 48 victors, plus having a group and keeping them alive, and that also means, the possibilities of my friends from the other districts being out against each other being limited to group size. That means it's a 1 in a million chance of me coming out with all of them....and I would rather die then have that happen Lux." I says looking her in the eyes the pain already setting in as if the day was here.