A Date? Part 1

Quietly Maggie climbed the stairs to the second floor, trying to avoid being loud by Tom's apartment in case he was up and wanted to ask about going for food in the morning. She slowly put the key in the lock to her door and went inside, and as she did she saw Grandpa sitting in a chair quietly sipping on a cup of coffee and some coffee cookies on a tray beside his recliner. When she came in he gave a small wave and a warm smile.

Maggie smiled back and walked over to him, stealing a coffee cookie and dipping it in his mug. "Glad you bought more of these the other day, they go so well with my coffee." Grandpa mentioned as he held the one in his hand up before dunking it in his coffee and nibbling on it, getting crumbs and coffee on the top of his mustache. Maggie shook her head with a small laugh.

"I can see how much you enjoy them." She teased as she motioned to his mustache. He glanced down and chortled a bit as he wiped off his mustache with his hand. Maggie sat down on the edge of the couch near his chair as she slid off her heels and tucked her feet in on the couch, curling up and quietly watching tv with him for about 30 minutes.

When she looked at the time it was around 4 at this point and she yawned tiredly. "How was your first night at work magpie?" Grandpa asked as he turned the tv down a bit while looking over to her before looking back to his show. Maggie sighed a bit while glancing back to him.

"Well.. it was interesting." She murmured as Grandpa paid more attention now.

"Oh?" He asked as Maggie went back and forth about telling him for a minute before finally deciding to tell him the truth.

"I saw Fisk tonight." She told him as he turned off the tv and silently stared at her for a few minutes. His face looked different than she had ever seen it. Nervous, guilty. It was emotions she didn't want to see on his face and it made her anxious.

"You did, did you?" He muttered, averting his eyes to the floor as his hand rested on his chin, rubbing it deep in thought. His eyes looked around on the ground as if he was recalling something and Maggie was officially regretting telling him.

"I did. I talked to him too." His eyes shot up to look at her.

"About what?" He asked quickly as Maggie furrowed her eyebrows.

"Papa.. what's wrong?"" Maggie asked him as he sighed and shook his head.

"Nothing, nothing." He denied as he pensively looked over to the window, avoiding eye contact with her. "Maggie.." He paused and it seemed as if he was trying to find words. "Your Mother, she— she made me promise to never let you around him, and I have to ask you now to please, please, do your best to stay away from him. Okay?" He finally turned to her, his eyes serious as he stared at her.

"Why? Why did she ask you? Is it because of what he does? My co-workers were telling me all about him and his reputation tonight. You don't have to be afraid to tell me, I know you only want to protect me." Grandpa quickly nodded to her.

"Yes, he's not a good man. So just don't be around him, stay away from him, and try not to talk to him." He muttered quietly and Maggie felt like that wasn't all of it, the memory that flashed in her mind earlier tonight at the tip of her tongue.

"You're sure that's it?" She asked as he gave her an 'Mhm,' before turning back on the tv.

"It is. Your Uncle is not a man you should associate yourself with. He does bad things, and has for as long as I've known him. Your father didn't really get into all of that, but he took his dirty money, had him do dirty business for him sometimes too. It's not right, and I want nothing more than to protect you from that life." Maggie reached out and gently squeezed his arm.