4. Blending In

Hastinapur

"Kumari Nayana," Arjun called out to Nayana after seeing her rush out of the chambers as the latter turned and raised her brows at him.

"What? I want to meet Pritha Maa. I don't want to fall asleep before that. I have always taken her blessings before starting something new, and now you can't deny me," Nayana rambled, not allowing Arjun or any of the Pandavas to talk further.

"Hope you don't mind a guide to help you around these confusing corridors, "Arjun calmly explained.

"The Guide, Arjun Kuruvanshi," Nayana mused as Arjun rolled his eyes at her antics and guided her to Kunti's chambers.

As Nayana walked through the corridors, she felt her heart flutter with happiness. She usually worked in palace ruins and could only imagine the rich history behind them. However, as she walked into the palace, she felt grateful to witness it in its full glory. Her eyes glistened with tears as she consumed the visuals of the fully functioning palace. The guards, servants, royals, and everything else about the palace felt surreal to her.

"You're crying," Arjun asked as they reached the inner quarters of the palace.

"You won't understand, "Nayana brushed it off as she hastily wiped her tears. It was true not many in this era would realize what she felt.

It is difficult to imagine a time when there would be no distinction between the royals and their subjects. The grand palaces and extravagant lifestyle they boasted about would eventually become relics of the past, existing only in ruins. They lived in a large country governed by a group of leaders chosen by the citizens. While there may have been some early forms of democracy in the administration of Dwarka, the concept was still uncommon, and not many embraced it.

The royal family members engaged in a power struggle. She noticed a few men dressed in royal attire giving Arjun and her arrogant and disrespectful looks. Everyone wanted to be at the top, but only a few deserved it.

Nayana had a deep understanding of the Kuru royals. The idea of meeting the Kurus, and dealing with their power struggles, political conspiracies, and intrigues was quite intimidating for her. But when they spoke to her, especially the Pandavas, she felt a strong sense of belonging and comfort. In their presence, she felt completely at ease.

"We are here, Kumari, "Arjun said, his face filled with concern, seeing Nayana cry. There's something seriously wrong with you," he expressed concern.

"Nothing. Now, can I please meet Pritha Maa?" Nayana asked as she sucked in some air and smiled at Arjun.

"Sure, this way," Arjun said. He opened the door, let Nayana in first, and followed behind her.

"Pranipaat Mata," Arjun greeted Kunti.

Kunti, dressed in the whites of a widow, looked up and smiled at her son as she guided one of the girls with the art of embroidery. Her smile was warm and welcoming as she ushered Arjun inside. Her eyes curiously observed Nayana, lost in the grandeur.

"Ayushman bhava, Phalgun, "Pritha blessed her son, who bent down to take her blessings.

"Mata, you remember the girl Pitamaha found on the banks of the river and helped her to the palace?" Arjun asked, and Kunti nodded in agreement. "She's the girl, and Maharishi Vyasa has said she will live with us for the time being," Arjun explained, pointing towards Nayana, who was already taking slow steps towards Kunti, who was amused at the former.

"You are Pritha Maa!" Nayana squealed as she poked Kunti's cheeks to believe she was indeed meeting the woman of her dreams and took the older woman into a bear hug.